CPU Intel Core 9000 Series Processors Discussion

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Following unconsistent reviews about power consumption of core i9 9900K, I guess "ninja" settings (i mean default) from motherboards were freeing all power restrictions of this cpu that could run pretty hot..:)

I was thinking of similar "multicore enhancement" from Asus that forces all cores to operates at same speed by default.

By the way, I quite like this generation of intel cpu, even if they will struggle in pure sff cases where cpu cooling is pretty light..:D

I'll wait for mid 2019 to decide on my future cpu platform (Zen 2 vs 10nm Intel?)...2019 will be so interesting in cpu market...;)
"Multicore enhancement" has been confirmed to be default settings in bios (like 8700K).
Thus, default settings for motherboard manufacturer means heavy overclocking...

Linus tech tips tested (confirmed by several others reviewers) with mutlicore enhancement disabled and found completely fine temperature (58°c)...thus most of reviewers, despite knowing this, tested overclocked 9900K...always mentionning Intel is not respecting its TDP of 95W...whereas issue was coming from Motherboard manufacturers...

For me it's exactly like phone manufacturers when they release all thermal constraints while a benchmark is running...dummies behaviour..."Who has the biggest?!"

At the end, 9900K is worth to be tested inside SFF, without multicore enhancement of course..;)

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018

Summary of video above.... Asus boards have PL2 = 95W, so lower temps, but also lower scores compared to benchmarks runs on other non ASUS motherboards

What a mess....

At optimsed defaults settings on my Z370-I gaming PL2=95W. So after 127 seconds at PL1, TDP falls to 95W and clock speeds on my 8700K fall from 4.3 GHz to 3.8 Ghz.

PL1 and PL2 can be set in BIOS, on ASUS Z370-i both have a max setting of 4095W.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

Summary of video above.... Asus boards have PL2 = 95W, so lower temps, but also lower scores compared to benchmarks runs on other non ASUS motherboards

What a mess....

At optimsed defaults settings on my Z370-I gaming PL2=95W. So after 127 seconds at PL1, TDP falls to 95W and clock speeds on my 8700K fall from 4.3 GHz to 3.8 Ghz.

PL1 and PL2 can be set in BIOS, on ASUS Z370-i both have a max setting of 4095W.
What a mess...

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
The definition of "stock" performance is getting muddier and muddier. Mobo with MCE on is essentially overclocking your cpu for you. I wonder if it is a matter of encouragement by Intel or this is just one of those things they do try to differentiate from other mobos.

I wonder why Intel didn't just set the TDP at 120W to have better "stock" specs instead. 95W is way too restrictive for this high clocked 8/16 cpu.

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
As a dev I know that my statement is exaggerated, but as someone who saw the realease of all Intel CPU since the 80286 series .... CPU are boring nowadays.

Even if they have been the underdog for over a decade, I enjoyed watching AMD trying new things.
I now understand more your point, and agree with you. I also not interested in those linear small improvements... They require for sure big big big effort to be achievied, but in a time where every PC is 99% well enough... Heck, furthermore we were limited to 4 cores to i7 line for something that feels a decade or so...

Also, there should be more kind of a "More than Moore" approach even in CPU area... Even if this maybe, is more useful in mobile application than in desktop/server one... How, I don't know, but for example if they don't want to include something like raytracing, at least improvements on their laughable GPU would be apprecciated as much as it was for the introduction of QuickSynk Video!

Intel and its Core family, on the other hand, has only been worth spending 10mn per new release to read a review. Even without reading them, one could easily bet on a 5-10% perf increase, a new socket and/or a new chipset.
ah, I agree with you! Intel is so much a boring company, with a schedule so much previdible and with new socket release totally unnecessary...

I'm more turned on by microcontrollers than CPUs nowadays.
embedded world is so fascinating also to me!

My opinion is biased because I grew up with technology improvement (born in 1980 and had my first computer at 9, an Amiga2000). Saw CPU going from 8MHz to 5GHz, single core toany cores, a few KB of memory to whopping Gigs, small 10" monochrome CRT screens to walls of 40" arrays, software CPU rendered games running @ 320x200 pixels to million of pixels worth GPU accelerated scene with real-time raytracing.

I'm really grateful that I was able to experience all of this, but on the other hand I do not feel the excitement I had back then with most of the new techs.

Or maybe I'm turning into a grumpy "it was better before" old man XD .... Please no.
ahahah... ehm... Those improvements didn't show up in a timespan of a year... So, I'm sorry, I may have a bad news for you...

Last edited:

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
Original poster
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
intel says nah

I say that Intel’s response will eventually transform into the PR answer of “yes, all of our efforts that went into 10nm that failed are now being applied and diverted into 7nm, which will (in our biased opinion) be the best on the market.”

I have been following S|A for years now. Everything they have leaked, often months ahead of time, has actually materialized into reality. I would wager dollars to donuts this bombshell ends up being true. If there is anyone here not to believe here, it is Intel.

SemiAccurate has a track record of factual investigative tech jounalism. Intel? Quite the opposite. Like the boy who cried wolf, they have misled and misstepped too many times for too many years now to be taken seriously about the state of their 10nm process.

Last edited:

Hifihedgehog

Original poster
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
I'm really grateful that I was able to experience all of this, but on the other hand I do not feel the excitement I had back then with most of the new techs.
I agree, and I am young in my late 20s. Linus Tech Tips, Hardware Unboxed and many others are super interesting but they still have nothing on the retro classic Tech TV. As tech has progressed, the focus has switched from big, bulky and burgeoning behemoths to small, svelte and seamless shrimps. CRT? Extinct and eradicated. Discs? Largely superseded by digital. Yes, DIY PC building continues to advance with more permutations of fun reigns than ever before and you can find every sort of niche imaginable including our bustling SFF corner of the globe. But in the minds of most people in most cases, most of the inards of tech that was in their face back in the day is now out of sight and out of mind.

Hifihedgehog

Original poster
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Agreed. Also, in a now deleted Reddit thread, a contractor for Intel's fab equipment noticed that all 10nm manufacturing locations around the world shut down except for the R&D location in Oregon. A concerned Intel employee (who since deleted his account) said something to the effect of "hey, uh you shouldn't be sharing that information."

So, in conclusion, Zen 2 ftw?
Bingo. This. Nail. Head. This and other evidence leads to Intel pushing 10nm under the rug. The 10nm facilities are indeed getting shuddered and will probably be written off as losses in 2019. 7nm, which is set to ramp likely around 2021 at the earliest, is now their new goal from my readings. They definitely will not be first to market, though. They will be forced to settle for second or third best this time around if they expect at all to stay even remotely in cadence with the rest of the industry.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I agree, and I am young in my late 20s. Linus Tech Tips, Hardware Unboxed and many others are super interesting but they still have nothing on the retro classic Tech TV. As tech has progressed, the focus has switched from big, bulky and burgeoning behemoths to small, svelte and seamless shrimps. CRT? Extinct and eradicated. Discs? Largely superseded by digital. Yes, DIY PC building continues to advance with more permutations of fun reigns than ever before and you can find every sort of niche imaginable including our bustling SFF corner of the globe. But in the minds of most people in most cases, most of the inards of tech that was in their face back in the day is now out of sight and out of mind.
In fact, issue is not Intel, but Intel investors..:D
Definitely with all this 14nm shortage, this noise about 10nm cancellation or not, I agree Intel is not really reliable.

But still it's difficult to know what is actually preparing Intel on CPU market.
In order to avoid any headaches, I'll wait and see 2019..:D

Hifihedgehog

Original poster
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
The latest Zen 2 rumor is tomorrow at AMD’s Next Horizon event we will be seeing performance numbers significantly better than the IPC and clock speeds we have seen than the rumored 15% and the confirmed 4.5 GHz engineering sample. That might well explain the oddball time for Intel’s Cascade Lake announcement late Sunday as if it were a last ditch effort to soften the blow and steal some thunder right before AMD lays down the (K8 Sledge)hammer. Fingers crossed and I am so ready for tomorrow! Pumped!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
The latest Zen 2 rumor is tomorrow at AMD’s Next Horizon event we will be seeing performance numbers significantly better than the IPC and clock speeds we have seen than the rumored 15% and the confirmed 4.5 GHz engineering sample. That might well explain the oddball time for Intel’s Cascade Lake announcement late Sunday as if it were a last ditch effort to soften the blow and steal some thunder right before AMD lays down the (K8 Sledge)hammer. Fingers crossed and I am so ready for tomorrow! Pumped!
Sure Zen 2 announcements could reinforce leading position of AMD on CPU market....wait a sec...am I saying AMD is currently leader on cpu market?...o yes....by a BIG margin. (ie on German market...since August 2018, AMD is leader)

http://www.expreview.com/65007.html

Thus if Zen 2 is announced and released in a recent future (Q1 2019), it should crucify Intel on cpu market.
But Intel will strike back..at least commercially (let's hope not to face same shame practice as Pentium 4 era).

2019 could be even more exciting than 2017 on cpu market!

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Hifihedgehog

Original poster
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Agreed! I just saw this for Amazon UK. 8 out of the top 10 best selling CPU slots are filled by AMD including all of the top 5 slots. That is just how much Ryzen line has done wonders for their brand image and been a magnet for increased sales up and down their product portfolio. As a result of Ryzen, people are now even buying the FX series in droves over Core.