How to make a screw flush?

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
May 14, 2016
Hey guys,

How can I make a screw flush with the aluminum interior of my case? My Osmi has an outer white shell that slides over it, and the screw heads scrap along the inside of the shell.

I am using an m3 countersunk screw but those 2 mm of the screw head sticking out is still too much. I can't screw it in tighter because aluminum.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Is the throughhole countersunk? If not, you can to countersink that yourself. If it is countersunk, you may try these screws from LianLi. Not sure if you can get similar ones elsewhere. They are completely flush with 1mm thick sheets if the hole is appropriately sized.

I think similar screws are often used in digital cameras, so you could try searching on sites for camera replacement parts.#

It's really a bit of a shame that there is no ISO standard for shallow countersunk screws yet.

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
May 14, 2016
Unfortunately I do not have the equipment to create a countersunk + I think that the aluminum is too thin to do it as is. Plus the screws need to be around 20mm :/

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Good luck, I don't think such a screw exists. Do you have a file? You could try to file the screw-head down a bit to make the sinking angle more shallow and the top thinner. Not sure how much you can gain that way before making the screw-head unusable though.

What are you trying to accomplish? Maybe there's a different way.

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
May 14, 2016
On my HG Osmi I had to screw the HDPLex PSU onto the side. Now when I put the outer shell over the case...it scrapes against the screw heads when it slides down. I am looking for a screw thats m3 roughly 15-20mm with a flat head so it doesnt scrape

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
The screws you listed are called "wafer head screws" and are metric based. In the "standard" world they have undercut screws, which work better for flush fitting in low profile material.

Both are very hard to find over 5mm / 1/4" respectively.

I think you should change your screw hole if possible (or just go with a standard countersunk head and washers on the HD Plex side.)

Reactions: Phuncz

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016

You'll need that kind of drill to machine your holes for that kind of screws :

DOn't know the english words for those, sorry.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Countersunk screws, as discussed above. He already said he doesn't have that drill bit and you can countersink with a regular, large drill bit as well.

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
May 14, 2016
Thanks guys for all the help. I actually found a seller on ebay that had m3 14 and 27 mm wafer head screws. I think these will suffice.