SFF.Network [SFF Network] How Small Can You Go? Part 2

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015
The bloody GPU power connector is to big, We could havve a normal everyday GPU go on a 6//6 inche tall case if they had .2 connector..

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Because GPUs have them on different sides (top, front) I decided not to include them. Depending on the design, just add a few cm to the relative side.

In a future article, I will look at accounting for cables and plugs in designs. This is a multi part series :) This article is just an overall guide.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Because GPUs have them on different sides (top, front) I decided not to include them. Depending on the design, just add a few cm to the relative side.

In a future article, I will look at accounting for cables and plugs in designs. This is a multi part series :) This article is just an overall guide.

Not entirely convinced, especially as most cards have those connectors on the side these days. But hey, this is just the beginning, let's see where it goes.

The bloody GPU power connector is to big, We could havve a normal everyday GPU go on a 6//6 inche tall case if they had .2 connector..

All the power connectors are pretty darn big. CPU socket power, ATX24pin connector, PEG connectors. All use Molex MiniFit connectors, and while they offer a nice overhead in terms of current they are rated for, they could certainly be made smaller.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
HP had a few m-dtx boards a while back with mini mini atc connectors. They were good, but not suitable for high power

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yeah that's the problem. They need to be suitable for high power because ATX boards have to be able to supply 75W per PCIe slot, and they've got up to 7 of those. The ATX power connector is oversized for smaller boards, and it's completely non-modular so you can't just use part of the connector if you don't need as much power.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
New My question is, why are the GPU power connectors so big??
For a top-end GPU, they need to carry 20A or more at 12V. That's a reasonable chunk of copper needed right there to avoid significant resistive losses.
The rest of it is legacy. Molex Mini-Fit Jr. was chosen two decades ago for ATX power connections. By now, it's a case of "everyone uses it because everyone uses it".

Reactions: Soul_Est