Discussion high power small psu options.

m_le_fay

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Mar 21, 2023
I'm looking to run a 13700k and 4090 in a custom case I'm in the process of designing. I am trying to decide whether to use two HDPLEX gan 500w units or try to find a server psu that would work. Any thoughts on what would be better space or cost wise?

orinie

Trash Compacter
Oct 18, 2023
The first thing I would look into is where the system will be located?

If you're sitting next to the system a solution like 2x HDPlex might be more desireable due to most server PSU's runs with small and loud fans....

The server PSU's will problably be a more compact and cheaper solution?

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
look into this thread, maybe now there is a newer more powerfull model of PSU but IMO that´s the better option.

Also you have these two silverstone psus

sfx-l 1200 w 125*130*63

tfx 600w 81*41*150

If I were you, depending on the layout, I would organise everything and then decide wether it would fit me better one big 1200w thing or two smaller 500-600 things

One thing to take in mind is that the txf psu is 150mm long and the hd plex is 200-ish if I remember correctly. Given that an ITX board is 170 mm and the GPU pcb is more or less the same lenght, with one psu, you have 20mm left to fill and with the other it would protude 30mm outside so you have some nice room there to fit anything you like.

Scan the web for supermicro/HP server power supplies, I think there are some really nice ones. Look also into Delta website, they have some very nice OEM power supplies that you can use as a 12v generators.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I´m a bit outdated it seems

another option from cosel, this is a very DIY option