Hi I'm owliwar - brazilian product design student

Hi everyone,

Its been 2 years since I build my first desktop PC. When I was building it I began to look out for product reviews and my favorite part was case design. A year latter I was Making my first case - Project Sophia.

I've used Imacs in my work for 4 years and then I got a cheap windows notebook that I used to game. In college it died and as a broke as student I used a lot of old parts mixed with new ones. It worked really well but had such an ugly case. When you are a nitpicker designer aesthetic is a really important factor.

That case gave me nightmares

I've learned a lot about digital manufacturing, 3d printing and laser cutting in a design fair in college And for a weekend they had these laser cutters free for all so my first project happened thanks to them.

First I started case design as a drawing exercise (I'm also a book cover illustrator / indie game artist) and I got a little overboard. Now I'm kinda addicted and i really want to work in this field professionally.

I mainly make projects to be cut in laser in MDF or acrylics (because of money/local limitations) and I'll be posting it soon :)

I've already learned a lot from this forum and I hope to continue!
(oh yeah, and josh from NFC brought me to here so Thanks josh! )

my first build - Project Sophia:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Welcome!

So laser cutting for acrylic/MDF/etc. is pretty common but a decent sheet metal shop in Brazil basically doesn't exist?

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Wow, nice first project! I've seen you posting around the forums, glad you decided to introduce yourself. What will your next project be?

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Welcome!

So laser cutting for acrylic/MDF/etc. is pretty common but a decent sheet metal shop in Brazil basically doesn't exist?
not one that I can pay right now, at least. even the cost of metal is way off what I can pay right now but I'll get to that. to be honest I have not looked into it too much because money :T laser cutting is way more acessible. so next project maybe?

Wow, nice first project! I've seen you posting around the forums, glad you decided to introduce yourself. What will your next project be?

I have another one that i just finished for my brother and is structuraly better. I'll post as soon as i finish editing the photos :)

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Welcome to our humble forum. Sophia looks amazing. Excellent execution of form and function in wonderful harmony.

Last edited:
Reactions: owliwar