Hey from Aus #2

Built plenty of computers before, but never a SFF PC. Now that I have some money coming in, I've decided that I'm going to build an SFF to replace my (very) aging GTX 970. I'm hoping that this forum will help me figure out what will work together.

Reactions: rfarmer

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hello there, welcome to the forum! Please take a moment to read our forum's terms, conditions and rules. It is especially important to read them if you are wanting to buy or sell, as the information you need to gain access to that subforum is all in there.

Also, as part of our community moderation efforts, we don't let new users edit posts or links for a bit, so report your post using the "report" button if you need it deleted/modified (or just post something like "sorry double post above" or "the above post is wrong, here's the updated one:... "). The forum staffs will help you from there. The report button is also useful if you observe spam or any other suspicious activities going on.

Built plenty of computers before, but never a SFF PC. Now that I have some money coming in, I've decided that I'm going to build an SFF to replace my (very) aging GTX 970. I'm hoping that this forum will help me figure out what will work together.

What upgrade path do you consider to replace your GTX 970?

Kaji

Doesn't own a caliper
SFFn Staff
Jun 1, 2020
Hey, welcome to the community!

You have near infinite options for GPU, I would start by determining the amount of performance you need (aka what games at what resolution and refresh rate you plan to play), and set your sights on a GPU first, then base your build around that.

As for the case:
-You could go ultra compact with a 4L case such as the Velka 3, Densium 4, which would limit your GPU to something like an Aero ITX 3060ti (still a MASSIVE performance jump from a 970).
-You could go mid-size SFF, generally around the 10-11L mark mark with options like the FormD T1, Dan A4-H20 which offer full GPU length support and thickness up to 3 slots.
-Or you could go with something like the Meshlicious/Meshroom, approx 15L, which will give you virtually zero restrictions in terms of GPU compatibility with support for card up to 4 slots in thickness (at the expense of CPU cooler height).

Feel free to reach out any time! We also have a Discord :)

Download

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
What upgrade path do you consider to replace your GTX 970?
Ideally a 4070 or a 4080, but it depends on what the prices are looking like in a month or two.

As for the case:
-You could go ultra compact with a 4L case such as the Velka 3, Densium 4, which would limit your GPU to something like an Aero ITX 3060ti (still a MASSIVE performance jump from a 970).
-You could go mid-size SFF, generally around the 10-11L mark mark with options like the FormD T1, Dan A4-H20 which offer full GPU length support and thickness up to 3 slots.
-Or you could go with something like the Meshlicious/Meshroom, approx 15L, which will give you virtually zero restrictions in terms of GPU compatibility with support for card up to 4 slots in thickness (at the expense of CPU cooler height).
I'm trying to go as small as I can while still being able to fit 360mm or 480mm equivalent radiators in it (i.e. 240+120 mm or 240+240 mm radiators - not sure if that's normal terminology?). I'm pretty much set on watercooling CPU+GPU with a custom loop. I've never done a watercooling system before, but setting a goal of a very small 4070/4080 that I can without custom-made parts seems like a good excuse and is probably necessary. CPU will probably be a 13th gen high end i5 or low end i7.

Looking around, I get the impression that things will be very hard under about 12 L (unless I want a high volume fan running on a single 120mm or something similar, and it sounding like a jet engine), so I am aiming for 12 to 15 L.

I've been looking at the ZZAW B2Plus (13.2 L) because it has the aesthetics I want and is reasonably priced, but it's hard finding technical data on it so I can make sure everything fits. Mcprue Apollo S ITX2.0 is nice and I'd grab one in a heartbeat if it weren't for the price.

Reactions: Kaji