Hello SFF network, working on a 6.5liter A4000 5950X workstation.

Hello,

I am working on a 6.5 liter compact mini-itx workstation case and would like to get feedback. The computer doesn't use the standard IO
shield or GPU bracket to make the case more aesthetic and solid. At the moment its designed around the Asus x570-i which I think is
the best card at the moment. The whole case is held together with one screw. All parts are machine from 6000 series aluminium.

Would like to get opinion on if limiting case to certain mb and gpu is a bad idea? and all other feedback greatly appreciated.

Here are some renders of the project, photos and updates on project can be found on my instagram @voaxpro

Reactions: Phuncz and rfarmer

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Welcome to the forum.

Be sure to read up on the terms and rules of the forum. Mainly for buying and selling or other commercial activity on the forum as the access is limited and the rules are strictly enforced.

As a new user you're probably not able to edit posts or links just yet, so if a substantial error was made, click the Report-button in the post.

Hope to see you around, enjoy the wonderful world of SFF!

Reactions: Phuncz

snailonni

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2019
This does look very cool. One concern i have is the noise level from wind turbulence as the fan is so close to the side panel.

Gotmachine

Chassis Packer
Oct 7, 2020
Nice design but :
- I am also concerned by the turbulence noise from the fan, especially since the panel seems quite thick. Maybe you should consider putting an internally mounted classic wire fan grill instead. This being said, the blower fan of that A4000 kinda make any noise optimization considerations quite irrelevant.
- I would also suggest perforating the rear panel (the one with the MB IO). I have some doubts the quite restricted open bottom will be enough exhaust.
- Looking at the top panel on the instagram pics, I don't like that this is so open. The top of a case is subject to tons of things falling inside : dust, insects, various tiny objects. Even more relevant if the case is meant to be portable. Use a pattern with smaller perforations, and maybe only do them where they are relevant for GPU intake / exhaust (given that this seems to be a fixed GPU configuration).
- Being the only active exhaust, that PSU will likely get quite toasty as it will directely draw hot air from the CPU cooler. Not very good for long term reliability, but should be alright nevertheless as long as you use a model with a decent power margin.

Making a case around a specific set of components is a bit risky, not sure there is really a market for that, especially with the A4000, which is a pricey specialized GPU roughly equivalent to a 3060Ti for double the price. That won't appeal to the gaming crowd.

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Nice design but :
- I am also concerned by the turbulence noise from the fan, especially since the panel seems quite thick. Maybe you should consider putting an internally mounted classic wire fan grill instead. This being said, the blower fan of that A4000 kinda make any noise optimization considerations quite irrelevant.
- I would also suggest perforating the rear panel (the one with the MB IO). I have some doubts the quite restricted open bottom will be enough exhaust.
- Looking at the top panel on the instagram pics, I don't like that this is so open. The top of a case is subject to tons of things falling inside : dust, insects, various tiny objects. Even more relevant if the case is meant to be portable. Use a pattern with smaller perforations, and maybe only do them where they are relevant for GPU intake / exhaust (given that this seems to be a fixed GPU configuration).
- Being the only active exhaust, that PSU will likely get quite toasty as it will directely draw hot air from the CPU cooler. Not very good for long term reliability, but should be alright nevertheless as long as you use a model with a decent power margin.

Making a case around a specific set of components is a bit risky, not sure there is really a market for that, especially with the A4000, which is a pricey specialized GPU roughly equivalent to a 3060Ti for double the price. That won't appeal to the gaming crowd.
Regarding the last point, it looks like this is a one off build for the user, not a planned production series ;)

danska

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Nov 6, 2019
www.vo.ax
This does look very cool. One concern i have is the noise level from wind turbulence as the fan is so close to the side panel.
Thank you for the feedback, good point, I have tested it abit and it is very quiet, but might be my hearing also which is bad :) I have chamfered the edges a bit on both sides and think the flow is quite linear, I think I will have to measure the real sound level under load, have to borrow a decibel meter from someone. I think it helps that its a big fan 140mm compared to say 120mm.

Which CPU cooler do you have under there? NH-C14S?
Its the noctua L12s but the 120mm fan is removed and a 140mm black noctua nf-a15 pushes air through it.

Nice design but :

Very good points, the top is definately something that I've been thinking about. Maybe smaller holes? The gpu question has its pros and cons, the A4000 has an extremely high performance to volume ratio, removing the bracket reduces the volume a lot on the left side. Normal IO shield could be very good, should be strong enough with that also. I've used an SFF600 and I am not sure the fan even turns on with a 5950X and A4000, the gpu is so low power. With an undervolt I got 10386pts in cinebench R20 multicore.

Reactions: snailonni

Gotmachine

Chassis Packer
Oct 7, 2020
The RTX A4000 is indeed quite efficient, but it still is a 140W GPU, which is a lot to dissipate in a single slot form factor.
I've used some of the much lower TDP single slot blower style Nvidia Quadro/Pro SKUs, and they are definitely a lot noiser under load than your typical 2.5 slot mid-range dual/triple fan GPU. An issue that will become a lot worse than in a traditional, relatively well noise insulated case given that the fan is facing an open panel at the top of case.

I hear your performance/volume argument, and the A4000 is also quite impressive on the perf/watt metrics, which is quite important in the SFF world. But I have some doubts many people will accept to pay the 600$ difference with a more silent and cost effective traditional gaming GPU for the sake of a few liters of case volume.