Power Supply HDPlex 160 watt ac/dc Converter

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hey everyone! I've got my S4 build up and running but I've run into a bit of an issue. Seems I get an awful lot of noise from my AC/DC unit whenever I run a game that's 3D. I'm just assuming the load is triggering it, is that normal? I'm running a 750ti and a 6700t, just trying to play Skyrim at 1080p.

-edit-

Damn thing just shocked me (to be fair it isn't earthed since I'm running a brickless build)

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Shocks are useful to wake up, while you are gaming late night. Works better than coffee! XD

-JK-

It is normal since the build is brickless. It could be due to lack of grounding or because the PSU is close to the case.

As far as noise, i dont know whats up with that. Can you maybe record the sound?

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Shocks are useful to wake up, while you are gaming late night. Works better than coffee! XD

-JK-

It is normal since the build is brickless. It could be due to lack of grounding or because the PSU is close to the case.

As far as noise, i dont know whats up with that. Can you maybe record the sound?
Lol :) Understandable, just caught me by surprise. Can't record audio right now since I don't have my mic with me, but it basically sounds like low pitched coil whine. Just figured it's the AC part of it.

I'm simultaneously dealing with system freezes during 3D applications while my GPU is installed, so I'll have to give my other one a go when I'm back at my apartment and see if it eliminate the buzz at the very least. Incidentally, neither issue was present when using the iGPU.

-edit

Furmark froze the rig instantly so, yeah...

Last edited:
Reactions: AleksandarK

chingi5

Caliper Novice
Feb 15, 2017
I ordered an HDPlex 160w converter a couple of days ago and have the same GPU with a g4560.
This post makes me afraid.

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I ordered an HDPlex 160w converter a couple of days ago and have the same GPU with a g4560.
This post makes me afraid.
Odds are it's more an issue with my software than the power supply :)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Lol :) Understandable, just caught me by surprise. Can't record audio right now since I don't have my mic with me, but it basically sounds like low pitched coil whine. Just figured it's the AC part of it.

Handy little trick I heard somewhere is get a straw or something and put it right up to (but not into!) you ear. Move the other end over all of the components in your PC and it should very quickly become obvious exactly which component is making the noise. If it is the 160W AC-DC, I would consider contacting HDPlex about it. They are pretty awesome about standing behind their products. I've also used this unit extensively and never had an issue with mine (other than being a shithead and overcorrecting them to death).

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Lol I'll definately give that a go :) on the bright side, I think I fixed whatever was causing the crashes. I'll narrow down the noise now.

Reactions: AleksandarK