Enclosure Has anyone noticed Kolink Rocket (bigger A4 clone) ?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
There is no intellectual property protection on most elements of a case hence the cheap knockoffs. Personally I feel the best way to combat this sort of occurrence is a.) not to purchase from them and b.) don't bring awareness of them into the community that would likely be buying Dan's case otherwise (I'm not calling you out by the way)

I just hate how big corporations like Kolink (same parent company as Noctua I believe) are as comfortable as they are performing a wholesale ripoff of someone else's design, providing no reference or credit, and then undercutting them using deeper pockets and greater manufacturing capacity. Additionally, I'm kind of surprised that Caseking is carrying it alongside Dan's own case (which I believe they have had exclusive reselling on to date) when it is such a blatant ripoff.

Rebel640

Caliper Novice
Mar 29, 2018
There is no intellectual property protection on most elements of a case hence the cheap knockoffs. Personally I feel the best way to combat this sort of occurrence is a.) not to purchase from them and b.) don't bring awareness of them into the community that would likely be buying Dan's case otherwise (I'm not calling you out by the way)

I just hate how big corporations like Kolink (same parent company as Noctua I believe) are as comfortable as they are performing a wholesale ripoff of someone else's design, providing no reference or credit, and then undercutting them using deeper pockets and greater manufacturing capacity. Additionally, I'm kind of surprised that Caseking is carrying it alongside Dan's own case (which I believe they have had exclusive reselling on to date) when it is such a blatant ripoff.

Its just a business opportunity. 2-4 months of waiting on most premium SFF cases like Ghost etc is a long time for anyone wanting to quickly get their hands on one. There are Sentry cases going for 200% their price on ebay because of this reason.

Most of these case makers need to get this sh** together and work on quick turn arounds and get the money that'd go to not-so-cheap knock offs like this one.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Most of these case makers need to get this sh** together and work on quick turn arounds and get the money that'd go to not-so-cheap knock offs like this one.

You seem to be confusing the serious challenges of getting something designed, prototyped, tested, sourced, manufactured, QA'ed, packaged, promoted, shipped, supported - between someone doing this with their own disposable income and a large manufacturer that already has experienced staff, connections and facilities to do this.

You're basically saying that anyone can be an olympic gold medal winning athlete with ease but most just don't want to.
A guide to just a fraction of the work required to be able to get a project case in someone's hands: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...owerful-atx-unit-in-the-world.934/#post-17952

Reactions: loader963

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
I normally defend people when others call them copycats saying that there are only so many ways to design a box that holds the same internal parts. But that is a bit too similar even for me.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Kolink Rocket vs Dan A4 reminds me Cougar QBX vs NCase M1.
You cannot prevent this, even if it's an obvious copy/paste.

However, with Dan A4 case, you are able to receive improved designs (like AIO92mm compatibility) that Kolink won't be able to follow.