GPU Gigabyte vs EVGA GPU

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Hello everyone,

So I have a bit of an odd question here, especially since this is very individual how we as humans percieve sound/noise. But I still wanted to ask to get somewhat of a rough estimate.

So I'm currently trying to decide between the Gigabyte RTX 2080 Windforce III and the EVGA RTX 2080 Black Edition, both of which can be seen on the pictures (respectively) below:

(The EVGA picture is of a 2070, but the cooler is the same on the 2080)

My questions to you all on this forum are the following:

1. Does anyone of you may have one of these GPUs, if so how do you find them in terms of noise while gaming?

2. And how are they doing in terms of cooling, are they good at cooling the GPU meanwhile not being too loud?

As I'm planning of getting one of these inside of the Dan A4 SFX case. One thing that bothers me about the EVGA one, is that it doesn't have a backplate. I mean why EVGA? It's standard today and for the price you pay for the GPU, it's just odd. Even though I will never see the back of the graphics card at all inside of the case, it's just a small thing that bugs me, as to why?...

Hence my questions here and can't be bothered to do the "waiting game", ie wait for the next gen, since I'm not that hardcore into hardware anymore, just a casual enthusiast now a days (if that makes sense?).

Thank you,
Dawelio

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I have neither but did a quick internet research and came up with these.
EVGA:
I do not seem to find an EVGA 2080 Black Edition without a back plate. Are you talking about 08G-P4-2081-KR ?
If yes, that card has a backplate. Cannot find a good review though. One owner said his chip is a non-A version, meaning probably not as good overclockability as a binned A version.

Gigabyte:
Back plate is a solid one (vs vented as EVGA's) but it is definitely not for looks only as there are thermal pads between the back of the PCB and the back plate for thermal transfer.
Chip is reportedly as A version (binned for better overclockability)
(https://www.techbang.com/posts/6129...-rtx-2080-gaming-oc-8g-on-machine-measurement)
Central fan spins in opposite direction as the 2 outer fans, giving (marginally) less noise and turbulence.

I have read that EVGA has excellent customer support in the US. If you reside there, this could be a big plus. Not sure if this is true in EU or not.

Just considering the card's noise and cooling, I would prefer the Gigabyte card (3-fan beats 2-fan). My 2 cents.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
I have neither but did a quick internet research and came up with these.
EVGA:
I do not seem to find an EVGA 2080 Black Edition without a back plate. Are you talking about 08G-P4-2081-KR ?
If yes, that card has a backplate. Cannot find a good review though. One owner said his chip is a non-A version, meaning probably not as good overclockability as a binned A version.

Gigabyte:
Back plate is a solid one (vs vented as EVGA's) but it is definitely not for looks only as there are thermal pads between the back of the PCB and the back plate for thermal transfer.
Chip is reportedly as A version (binned for better overclockability)
(https://www.techbang.com/posts/6129...-rtx-2080-gaming-oc-8g-on-machine-measurement)
Central fan spins in opposite direction as the 2 outer fans, giving (marginally) less noise and turbulence.

I have read that EVGA has excellent customer support in the US. If you reside there, this could be a big plus. Not sure if this is true in EU or not.

Just considering the card's noise and cooling, I would prefer the Gigabyte card (3-fan beats 2-fan). My 2 cents.

First off, I thank you sir for your input and with such information, much appreciated!

The one I'm looking at is the 08G-P4-3081-KR at this link (yes, I'm aware that it's a 2080 Super version, yet the clock speeds etc aren't that much higher).
Although it's newer than the regular 2080, hence considering it. Yet I already have the Gigabyte one, but if the EVGA would be better, then I would return the Gigabyte for the EVGA one.

That techbang.com link is to the OC version, it's not the same as my Gigabyte Windforce III graphics card is. Since mine is a 2 slot GPU and the OC version is 2.5 slot, as can be seen in this picture below:

Unfortunately, I am not in the US, I reside in Scandinavia. Never needed customer support previously, with previous GPUs (knock on wood). But always good to have that, so a good point there. Not sure how Gigabyte is on that part though.

As for overclocking, that is always welcome and a consideration regarding binned chips. Although for me, overclocking isn't essential and not something I do.
Especially in the Dan A4 SFX case, more heat (as a result of higher clocks) is worse. So I always try to keep things as cool as possible.

I have the same mentality as you regarding 3 fan design over 2 fan designs. Yet, I'm not excluding that it could still be rather silent compared to a 3 fan design.

I'm thinking of a 240 rad, that could be as silent as a 3 fan radiator really. Not the same situation here, but hopefully you'll get my logic here.