Gigabyte via Aorus has shown their concept of the future of small PC gaming in the form of Project Cielo. Sporting a modular design, the PC can be expanded and upgraded by simply swapping the stackable parts. Aside from normal desktop PC components, it also features a 5G antenna, battery pack, and Bluetooth speaker.

The systems design looks like a PS5 and Mazda rotary engine were merged in some incredible industrial mix up. Actual specs haven't been released but based on the size of the PC module, the system is likely using either laptop components, or a chip with integrated graphics.

Click HERE to check out the Project Cielo information page.

Watch this video to see how a Rotary Engine works.... The SFF engine of the car world.

Last edited:

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
So given the form factor...what kind of Intel laptop parts is that thing running, I wonder....

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
This looks like a really poor idea in my opinion. It seems like it uses USB-C for connectivity between modues, i.e. likely Thunderbolt 4. That means GPUs will be gimped, and from the concept render each module has its own power input, begging the question of how many power bricks this thing is going to need. The top part (which seems to house most of the PC) seems similar to thin-ITX (with a thick plastic shell) and thus likely poorly cooled/not suited for anything above ~35W. And the design fails on the basic level of "design for good airflow".

The rotary engine + PS5 simile is good, though I prefer to think of it as a Roomba that kept bumping into a running belt sander.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
1635138090970.png

Googly eyes are cheap....

The problem with modular PCs like this is that there is no guarantee that modules would be made. There would have to be some industry standard for them and then the companies could just sell the outer shell.

I'm no opposed to custom prebuilt PCs. Some designs are pretty innovative. I even own a Zotac E-Series and will be looking at the Magnus One this week for SFF.Nework. However, those PCs you sort of know what you're getting from the get go. With these modular PCs you're hoping you don't waste your investment.

Reactions: Phuncz and Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
View attachment 1418

Googly eyes are cheap....

The problem with modular PCs like this is that there is no guarantee that modules would be made. There would have to be some industry standard for them and then the companies could just sell the outer shell.

I'm no opposed to custom prebuilt PCs. Some designs are pretty innovative. I even own a Zotac E-Series and will be looking at the Magnus One this week for SFF.Nework. However, those PCs you sort of know what you're getting from the get go. With these modular PCs you're hoping you don't waste your investment.
Yeah, these PCs rely on the appearance of an ecosystem of modules and an upgrade path - otherwise their modularity is just a convenient fiction. Which as you say requires standardization and broad adoption. It's not like we haven't seen this before - Acer's Revo Build, Lenovo's ThinkPad Stack, etc. There's also the issue of design - if many different manufacturers make modules, the stacked units will inevitably be a hodge-podge of mismatched parts, which most people won't want. Plus the interface, of course - if these use TB4 for stacking, that's a near $100 increase in the base price per module, which will kill the concept immediately. If it isn't, then there is no true expandability. And if it's a mix, i.e. "GPU modules use TB4 and must be stacked directly next to the core unit, others use USB-C and can stack where ever", then that's a customer service nightmare of "I put my gpu module at the bottom of the stack and now it isn't working!" calls.

IMO, modular concepts like these are kind of like MKBHD's take on the Surface Duo 2: it seems like a good idea at first, but the more you try it the more you realize its inherent issues are too big for it to really make sense, and trying to fix them inevitably makes something else worse.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Well ... they are trying to make something à la PC/104 - PCI/104 ...

• Wow
Reactions: Valantar

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Wow, what is that thing?

It's a rugged computer based on the PC/104 form-factor : https://pc104.org/

It's a stackable modular design, mostly used for embedded/rugged computers :

(source: PerfecTron / https://perfectron.com/technology/whats-pcie104?language_content_entity=en)

They also have the EPIC and EBX families of "main board", whose are compatible with the PC/104 expansions but are bigger to accomodate more powerfull CPU.

Reactions: Skripka

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
It's a rugged computer based on the PC/104 form-factor : https://pc104.org/

It's a stackable modular design, mostly used for embedded/rugged computers :

(source: PerfecTron / https://perfectron.com/technology/whats-pcie104?language_content_entity=en)

They also have the EPIC and EBX families of "main board", whose are compatible with the PC/104 expansions but are bigger to accomodate more powerfull CPU.
Huh, interesting. Doesn't look very suitable to anything outside of industrial(-ish) "we have diverse but highly specialized I/O/controller/low power hardware needs" uses, but a neat concept!