Advice Ghost S1 b760i 13600k Tips

Jiji_theCat

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 7, 2023
Hey, upfront sorry for my english, not my mother tongue, hope it will be understandable.

I put together 13600K, Asus Strix B760I, NH-L12 GE, G.Skill 32GB 6400-CL32 DDR 5 and a RX 6800 Reference in a Ghost S1 MKIII without additional hats. Tried a 120 mm fan swap on the CPU cooler but it collides with the mainboard heatspreader and the ram. Also trying to avoid options like custom spine or flipping upside down.

First i undervolted CPU and GPU, but GPU will be replaced by a nvidia card after the refresh release next year anyway to use gsnyc on my monitor. Ram subtimings will be optimized maybe next days but main problem is max temp of the CPU reaching > 90C. Offset is set to -0.180 for cores and cache, what has already greatly reduced consumption.

At least one 120mm fan is installed at the bottom pushing air out and I think some 40mm will be added topside, but without a tophat. I hope this will also improve temps a little bit.

Here linkToPost I found some additional tips like swapping the CPU fan to another with higher rpm and installing a contact frame. Higher rpm sounds reasonable, but I have to find some more experiences about the whole contact frame topic. Especially since I don't know how much it is influenced by the board manufacturer for example.

Bottom line the CPU temps are indeed very high, but my use case (gaming, coding, office) is actually not really comparable to the stress tests like cinebench or prime. Maybe encoding a movie from time to time is the closest scenario. Settings are stable so far but improving temps is always desirable I guess.

Thx for any further tips or experiences ^^

Reactions: luxferre

Jiji_theCat

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 7, 2023
Small heatsink, Fan swap collision

Last edited:
Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

Jiji_theCat

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 7, 2023
Hm did the upload just fail or do I have to wait for a kind of approval process. I will have a look at the forum rules.

Edit:
Ok image links fixed and obtained edit function. I will try to keep this thread uptodate.
List of possible changes:
- adding couple of 40mm fans, topside without hat for pushing warm air out and to improve negative pressure method
- 92mm cpu fan swap to another with more rpm / pressure / airflow
- LGA1700 contact frame
- higher keyboard feets

Last edited:

Jiji_theCat

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 7, 2023
Links seem still to be broken. Maybe flickr doesnt like hotlinking / caching?

cu, w0lf.
ye I dont get it. Pictures were shown a few days. There is no way to upload images and Flickr is shown here as approved to be used for media. Will try someting else.

Edit:
Ok again changed the image links, lets see how long this works. And I add some keyboard feets as an additional measure for better airflow at the bottom.

Plus in order to have the potential option of water cooling, I have also ordered the large tophat. Admittedly this was more of a panic buy because the large lids will probably soon no longer be available. I hope it will be reasonably clean in terms of color and shape. With leftover goods, even if they are sold as new, I always think that they must be returns or somehow faulty goods. I'm really looking forward to seeing what awaits me.

Last edited:

Jiji_theCat

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 7, 2023
Nothing new but just to have something here to look at. Before anyone asks, there's an SSD next to the power supply with paper around it so it doesn't scratch the other parts. And the cables at the bottom do not touch the fan.

Tophat arrived today. OVP and new but surface and form does not match exactly with the case. I will keep it, getting a perfectly fitting part is very unlikely I guess. The right side is slightly worse as you can see in the pictures.

Last edited:

Jiji_theCat

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 7, 2023
- Thermalright contact frame without TF7 ordered from Ali for 3,52€, I hope in OVP with certificate
- 4x alu anodized Keyboard feets ordered from Ali as well for 6,76€
Lets see what will arrive.

Jiji_theCat

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 7, 2023
Arrived in OVP and of course there are minimal temp improvements due to about 150W coming from the CPU.

Edit:
Thinking about a small cpu loop, but still struggling somehow to use a tophat.
The gpu most likely has a defect. I will test it with another mainboard and hope it is due to hardware incompatibility. Everything else already excluded. Unfortunately there is no invoice so good bye to the warranty i guess.

Edit2:
Yep, RDNA2 will be sold as defect and will wait for the Lovelace refresh release. Maybe going for a 4070 FE Super, but not fully convinced.
Feets arrived and looking decent.

Last edited: