General Chat Thread

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Samsung's little orb droid tickles my SFF fancy like nothing else lmao. It is...so cute. :eek:

Reactions: owliwar

mindad

Chassis Packer
Dec 22, 2019
You could mod it to look like ED-E from F:NV
Edited to add, bonus feature is ED-E's grille = fan intake

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
hey all

is this a dumb ideia?

hard riser, over the cpu area + sata to 6pin conector. probably an rx570 ITX card .
is this kind of adapter safe? it would be either this or modding my TFX psu

1337harcha

Caliper Novice
Apr 9, 2019
As for risers - just make sure if it supports the full PCIE gen 3.0 bandwidth. Also it probably doesn't provide the full power that the motherboard slot can - check if your GPU would be OK with a riser in google.
As for sata to 6pin - yeah, pretty stupid. The usual rule of thumb is if your PSU don't have high power wires coming from it better not risk it. When I was pushing my old PSU to the max with a low power videocard it just refused to start and made beeps so nothing bad came out of it (other than wasted money on the riser). So if you're gonna try that don't get your hopes up.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
the 12V pins on SATA power connector should be expecting no more than 4.5A in total. you might want to consider not buying that unless you want to melt the adapter on the connector side ._.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
the 12V pins on SATA power connector should be expecting no more than 4.5A in total. you might want to consider not buying that unless you want to melt the adapter on the connector side ._.
As for risers - just make sure if it supports the full PCIE gen 3.0 bandwidth. Also it probably doesn't provide the full power that the motherboard slot can - check if your GPU would be OK with a riser in google.
As for sata to 6pin - yeah, pretty stupid. The usual rule of thumb is if your PSU don't have high power wires coming from it better not risk it. When I was pushing my old PSU to the max with a low power videocard it just refused to start and made beeps so nothing bad came out of it (other than wasted money on the riser). So if you're gonna try that don't get your hopes up.

Dang. dodged that bullet huh.
I have a 300w tfx psu without the 6pin conector. its a single rail 12V so I might just mod that then. sacrificing some of the sata conectors for this should be ok.
from what I've gather I could power a rx 570 with 300w. it would be interesting to try it out.
Its a seasonic unit so It should not be garbage but anyway. better safe than sorry.
Thanks y'all

since I dont have the gpu yet, I might just buy a riser to test with another gpu that have similar power draw. worst case I have a riser for another build

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Dang. dodged that bullet huh.
I have a 300w tfx psu without the 6pin conector. its a single rail 12V so I might just mod that then. sacrificing some of the sata conectors for this should be ok.
from what I've gather I could power a rx 570 with 300w. it would be interesting to try it out.
Its a seasonic unit so It should not be garbage but anyway. better safe than sorry.
Thanks y'all

since I dont have the gpu yet, I might just buy a riser to test with another gpu that have similar power draw. worst case I have a riser for another build
I've been running an RX 570 off a modded 240W (200W on the 12V rail; spliced a 6-pin PCIe onto the EPS and SATA cables) Dell Optiplex PSU. I had to reduce the power limit by 20% in afterburner to avoid triggering OCP, but it's been working fine since (alongside an i5-2400 (~75W when fully loaded according to HWmonitor), four sticks of 1.5V DDR3, a USB 3.0 controller card, an SSD and four fans). If your PSU can deliver 300W on the 12V rail alone I'd guess it would work fine unless you have some very power hungry components in there). I'm not happy with the reduced performance though (I also wanted an ambitious modding project! :p ) so I'm moving to a 350W MeanWell and G-unique setup :)

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I've been running an RX 570 off a modded 240W (200W on the 12V rail; spliced a 6-pin PCIe onto the EPS and SATA cables) Dell Optiplex PSU. I had to reduce the power limit by 20% in afterburner to avoid triggering OCP, but it's been working fine since (alongside an i5-2400 (~75W when fully loaded according to HWmonitor), four sticks of 1.5V DDR3, a USB 3.0 controller card, an SSD and four fans). If your PSU can deliver 300W on the 12V rail alone I'd guess it would work fine unless you have some very power hungry components in there). I'm not happy with the reduced performance though (I also wanted an ambitious modding project! :p ) so I'm moving to a 350W MeanWell and G-unique setup :)

good to know! thanks for that!
I have a 95w cpu (4th gen i7) but I did undervolt it. it should be probably around 250w on the 12v rail. I'll check up my specs latter. I dont game that much but I use some cad applications and blender so thats what I want to use it for at least for now

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
good to know! thanks for that!
I have a 95w cpu (4th gen i7) but I did undervolt it. it should be probably around 250w on the 12v rail. I'll check up my specs latter. I dont game that much but I use some cad applications and blender so thats what I want to use it for at least for now
No worries, looking forward to seeing how it turns out. The i5 2400 is also a 95W TDP part, though as it's a conservatively clocked 4c4t part I don't think it ever actually consumes 95W.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Had a follow-up doctor's appointment after my surgery today. It's been two weeks, discharged from the hospital a week ago, and everything seems to be healing properly (though I'm not going to say there's not a decent amount of pain and discomfort involved even with some pretty hefty painkillers). Good news though, as I got test results back from after the surgery saying the removed tissue had "clean edges" (that's a direct translation, no idea about a proper English word for it), i.e. no cancer cells along the edges of the removed tissue. Which means it's almost certain they've gotten rid of it all. I honestly haven't been very worried (the doctors at my local hospital are apparently world-class when it comes to this kind of surgery), but it's still a very nice message to get. Now if only the swelling would subside so I can sit in a damn chair again :p Investing in a standing desk before surgery has proven to be a very, very good idea though.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Just found that beauty on Asrock Rack website: Asrock Rack X570D4I-2T
  1. Supports AMD Ryzen™ 2nd& 3rd Generation Series Processors(Max 105W))
  2. Supports 4x DDR4 ECC and non-ECC SO DIMM, max. 64 GB
  3. Supports up 8 x SATA3 by OCulink and 1x M.2 ports
  4. Integrated IPMI 2.0 with KVM and Dedicated LAN (RTL8211E)
  5. Supports 1x PCIe Gen4x16 link (Matisse)
  6. Supports 2x 10GLAN Intel X550-AT2

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Reactions: ZivZulander