General Chat Thread

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
The Synology DS414slim is a nice and small 4x 2.5" NAS.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I like the slim Synology one, although it's been replaced by the ds416slim apparently. Stuff some 1TB drives in there like the HGST 7K1000 and let'er rip. Personally I have a ZFS-based NAS like the FreeNAS system @j0rd mentioned, but self-built. It's much cheaper to do but difficult to do SFF without breaking the bank. And Synology are renowed for their ease-of-use, reliability and feature set.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
When it comes to NAS vs a large storage drive in the PC I usually ask if you have more than one computer.

NAS is great if you have multiple computers, and for backups, but a 2TB drive is usually easier to use, and there's plenty of drive caching solutions.

I personally do have a NAS but it's just for backups, and I have PrimoCache that would let me cache a large HDD if I had one (and I might get one) with the SSD but also lets me cache the SSD in main memory.

I had a Surface Pro 2 and I just used the sync option to keep often used files from my PC on the tablet, and One Drive let's me pull other files over the Internet if I'm connected and don't have a local copy.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Is that for a game?
Battletech, it's the game Mechwarrior is based on.
They advertise it as a board game, but it's really a tabletop wargame, though is often played on hex maps rather than terrain (though the option is available) like WH40K and others.

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Battletech, it's the game Mechwarrior is based on.
They advertise it as a board game, but it's really a tabletop wargame, though is often played on hex maps rather than terrain (though the option is available) like WH40K and others.

Ahhh okay, got it. Thought it looked kind of like Warhammer. Wife and I play Magic sometimes but that's about it as far as board/card games.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
When it comes to NAS vs a large storage drive in the PC I usually ask if you have more than one computer.

Makes sense, that's also why I suggested m.2 for OS and soft and 2x 2.5" in mirroring for Data and redundancy. That solution still needs regular backups, just like with a NAS.

I have 2 PC, so the NAS is handy, but it also serves as a music streamer, git repository, FTP and NFS server ... Synology is great for those purposes.

In other news, what's everyone's hobbies?

Drawing, coding / electronic and retromod .... https://guilleacoustic.wordpress.com/

I have a major update planned for my Wordpress, once I'm out of hospital XD.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Does anyone have any specific recommendations for a NAS?

I've been living off of a 512GB SSD for years now, but my photos and creative projects have grown to the point where it really makes sense to keep those off of my primary drive... I'm debating whether or not to get large drives (with a cache drive) or smaller, faster SSD's for such a thing, though.

Check the reviews on smallnetbuilder.com and/or the wirecutter.com. Lots of easy options. I went with a Synology 2-bay unit with 2 WD Reds. Price depends on capacity of the drives and speed of the processor.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Just wondering who is staying behind on Win7/Win8.1? Seeing as the free upgrade is ending this week?
Anybody still considering doing a last minute upgrade?

I switched a couple of months back. I was mainly concerned about my autodesk programs no longer working. I've had problems before on windows 8.1 where I couldn't use Vray or import CAD data into 3dsmax as well as random crashing on Inventor.

Luckily autodesk had released a patch/hotfix that fixed it all so I'm running Windows 10 and 10 Pro on all my systems (HTPC is on Home, NAS also on Home but the workstation is on Pro)

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Any writers on here? Looking for opinions.

I've decided to continue a project of mine that's been ongoing for the last year or two. I'm trying to figure out what direction I want to take it. At this moment in time it seems to be heading more towards a documentation of my time in Japan. I don't know if I want to keep it that way or if I want to turn it into more of a photo by photo basis, where I show a photo and then talk about that photo (why I took it, what's in it, etc).

The end goal is to get a limited run printing of a photo book.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Any writers on here? Looking for opinions.

I've decided to continue a project of mine that's been ongoing for the last year or two. I'm trying to figure out what direction I want to take it. At this moment in time it seems to be heading more towards a documentation of my time in Japan. I don't know if I want to keep it that way or if I want to turn it into more of a photo by photo basis, where I show a photo and then talk about that photo (why I took it, what's in it, etc).

The end goal is to get a limited run printing of a photo book.

You should do a simple blog that folks can follow, and post updates now and then. Culminate it in the book run, once you've built an audience.

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
You should do a simple blog that folks can follow, and post updates now and then. Culminate it in the book run, once you've built an audience.

I've got a photography website already that I've had for awhile and as far as I can tell there's very little going on there. I keep it updated just in case but there's very little interaction or feedback. I can't imagine a straight blog being much better (let alone another thing I have to keep updated).

It's a good idea, don't get me wrong. But I have several things to keep updated as it is, another one would be a pain in the arse.

Last edited:

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I've got a photography website already that I've had for awhile and as far as I can tell there's very little going on there. I keep it updated just in case but there's very little interaction or feedback. I can't imagine a straight blog being much better (let alone another thing I have to keep updated).

It's a good idea, don't get me wrong. But I have several things to keep updated as it is, another one would be a pain in the arse.

If the book is something you decide you definitely want to do, I'd just see it as you uploading sections of it as they're written. So not much more effort than you'd be putting in anyway. I've seen a few projects that went about it that way, with mixed results.