Front USB ports issue

erotavlas

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
I'm not sure if this is a cable issue or motherboard issue, or software issue. But I built my NCase M1 system in the beginning of the year. And I've noticed ever since that the front use ports are really flaky. So what will happen is I'll plug in an SD Card reader to copy a bunch of images to my hard disk. But it randomly fails, device disconnects and I have to start all over again. It recently happened today when I connected an external hard disk (sata) adapter to the usb port and it would not work, kept disconnecting. I had to pluc it in to the rear USB port.

Basically everything works fine on the rear USB ports with no disconnects. I did however experience some interference form the USB 3 device and my Logitech unifying receiver (keyboard and mouse started stuttering, difficult to use)

I've had my XBox One controller plugged into the front USB port and never had it disconnect while playing a game so not sure whats going on. Seems to be an issue with I/O devices.

Any thought on this? Could it be a faulty front IO cable or something else?

NCase M1 V6
Asus B450 - i Gaming
Ryzen 3600X
Windows 10

Updated everything in the past month (latest Windows 10 updates, latest chipset, bios etc for motherboard)

skz87

Cable Smoosher
Jul 3, 2020
Did you check and make sure the cable is plugged in tightly to your motherboard? Last weekend I was fiddling around with the cables in my case trying to get things neatened up and inadvertently ended up loosening the USB cable. The loose cable made it so that only one USB port on the front worked. Once I plugged the cable back in tightly both are working flawlessly.

erotavlas

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
both usb ports work , as do the other io ports (audio jack) i removed the usb-c because my motherboard doesn't support it. The issue arises when I begin accessing the USB drive, or copying files, my mouse/keyboard (logitech with unifying receiver) go all crazy.

after some more research maybe this has to do with the USB-3 / bluetooth interference problem? If so perhaps the front IO cabling is not sufficiently shielded?

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
both usb ports work , as do the other io ports (audio jack) i removed the usb-c because my motherboard doesn't support it. The issue arises when I begin accessing the USB drive, or copying files, my mouse/keyboard (logitech with unifying receiver) go all crazy.

after some more research maybe this has to do with the USB-3 / bluetooth interference problem? If so perhaps the front IO cabling is not sufficiently shielded?

I’ve had problems in the past with wireless receivers connected to USB 3, and now, where possible I connect them to USB 2.0 instead.

If you don’t move your Logitech receiver around you could try getting a USB 2.0 header cable and connecting the receiver to that internally. Your board has a header at the front edge near the SATA connector (9 pins)

Last edited: