Power Supply Found a AC-DC PSU that seems to good to be true(500w in 110.8mm x 50.8mm x 13.7mm)

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Aug 9, 2016
Last edited:
Reactions: thewizzard1

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
You'll need a way to solder the outputs into something you can actually connect it with.

This PSU is meant to be soldered directly into a PCB, not mounted or external at all.

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Aug 9, 2016
You'll need a way to solder the outputs into something you can actually connect it with.

This PSU is meant to be soldered directly into a PCB, not mounted or external at all.
That isn't my concern, it's just that, the specs seem to be really impressive. For my uneducated eyes this PSU seems to be rated at 500w of continuous power output in under 2cm of hight while not needing active airflow. This just seems to good to be true and I'm afraid I'm missing something. And I'm also not really sure if it meets atx standards, if there are any.

Edit: just want to add, that this piece is around a quarter the volume of an hd plex 300 ac dc unit.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
That isn't my concern, it's just that, the specs seem to be really impressive. For my uneducated eyes this PSU seems to be rated at 500w of continuous power output in under 2cm of hight while not needing active airflow. This just seems to good to be true and I'm afraid I'm missing something. And I'm also not really sure if it meets atx standards, if there are any.

Edit: just want to add, that this piece is around a quarter the volume of an hd plex 300 ac dc unit.

It is also $170, requires additional PCB board installation, with fuse and filter circuits, and the price you see is a "distributor" price. This means it is for you to install and use in custom machines and equipment, not to consumers. Consumers = warranty, returns, retails, support, etc which means more markup.

You can have very small PSU with good ratings, but they get real expensive real fast.

We have found lots of good PSU, but KMPKT's new AC-DC 400W is probably going to be the best on the market for a while.

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Aug 9, 2016
It is also $170, requires additional PCB board installation, with fuse and filter circuits, and the price you see is a "distributor" price. This means it is for you to install and use in custom machines and equipment, not to consumers. Consumers = warranty, returns, retails, support, etc which means more markup.

Yes, you can have very small PSU with good ratings, but they get real expensive real fast.

I know you want to keep someone from frying their components and no offence to that, I actually appriciate it, but I'm not compleatly new to diy stuff like this and I can get (somewhat) professionell help if needed, so that isn't my current problem. It's more like I have not seen a unti this size deliver a compareble output, so I'm sceptical and wondering if I overlooked something about the power rating. Not even the modded Dell bricks are this powerfull.
Also one question, for what would I need a fuse and filter components. The unit seems to include most common protection und the ripple doesn't seem to be that high.

Sorry for the buchered English (and I will to sleep for now.)

Reactions: thewizzard1

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I know you want to keep someone from frying their components and no offence to that, I actually appriciate it, but I'm not compleatly new to diy stuff like this and I can get (somewhat) professionell help if needed, so that isn't my current problem. It's more like I have not seen a unti this size deliver a compareble output, so I'm sceptical and wondering if I overlooked something about the power rating. Not even the modded Dell bricks are this powerfull.
Also one question, for what would I need a fuse and filter components. The unit seems to include most common protection und the ripple doesn't seem to be that high.

Sorry for the buchered English (and I will to sleep for now.)

I'm just going off the data sheet, which recommends a fuse and LC circuits along with the unit. It is PCB mounted anyways.

You can just go off ready use PSUs, like these:

http://www.fiduspower.com/ac-dc-power-supply/open-frame/MWLC550

Last edited:

buttrmytoast

Trash Compacter
Jun 2, 2018
Hey there, I've been doing a lot of research into form factor PSUs as well. I'm not super well versed in this area, but I don't think you can use this "power module" alone... or at least when I was reading thru some specs a while back. It appears as though what is needed is a switching psu design instead of a powermodule, but perhaps I'm wrong and someone can provide some insight...

The only thing I've found that could supply enough wattage in one single unit is one of the front end supplies, but that said they are front-end and would require some connector or maybe even pcb to convert the bus to standard power output...

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Aug 9, 2016
I just noticed that they used a water cooler as example for cooling. I really shouldn't be be searching for stuff sn the internet at 1 in the morning anymore. But still maybe one of the more technically versed members of this forum might find use for it.