Advice FormD T1 - 2024 Build - B550-I or B760-I ?

rousseau789

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Apr 11, 2024
Hi

I'm new to SFF and I would welcome any advice that the community could offer on a new FormD T1 (non-reference) build...

I'm looking at the following components (combination of new and second hand) :
  • Mobo - ROG Strix B550-I / ROG Strix B760-I
  • CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / Intel i5 12400F (dependent on mobo)
  • RAM - Kingston Fury 16GB DDR4 / Kingston Fury 16GB DDR5 (dependent on mobo)
  • GPU - Zotac 3070 Ti AMP Holo / Zotac 3080 Trinity (independent of mobo)
  • Cooler - Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 / Noctua NH-L9i-17XX (mobo dependent)
  • Fans - Noctua NF-A12-X25 (2 units)
  • PSU - Corsair SF750
I intend to install Manjaro Linux on the build and use it mainly for Open3D, OpenCV and PyTorch.

There's a chance that I may install Windows and do some light gaming at some point, but that's not the primary reason for building.

Having a quiet system when it is not under load is also important.

My main concern is how future proof the AMD-AM4-DDR4 option will be compared to the Intel-LGA1700-DDR5 option.

The AMD option is cUSD60 less expensive than the Intel option.

(The saving isn't greater than this, as if I take the AMD option, I need to order components from overseas, which means additional delivery / tax charges).

My question is : would it still be worthwhile taking the AMD option in 2024 ?

I'm leaning a little towards the Intel option, but I would welcome any thoughts from the community.

Thanks !

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Is there a reason you aren't considering AM5? That is the best platform for future proofing since current motherboards should support 2 or 3 more generations of CPUs.

rousseau789

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Apr 11, 2024
Hi, yes, there are a couple of reasons. The first is availability of AM5 mobos : I think I would prefer a ROG AM5 mobo as I like the ROG aesthetic and BIOS, but no ROG mini-ITX mobos are available where I live (New Zealand). The second is CPU cost : the AMD 7000 - 8000 CPUs here are quite expensive compared to their Intel 12th-13th gen rivals. I could partially economise on higher AM5 CPU cost by going for an AM5 mobo from Gigabyte or MSI, but I'm not entirely sure I want to do so based on personal preferences on aesthetics and BIOS.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
The advantage of going Intel would be, that you could reuse your DDR 4 RAM. But also, if you were to go with DDR 5, and decided to switch to AMD Zen 4 or 5 later on, you could keep that DDR 5, too.

Personally, my current streaming system, which runs with an i5-13500, would be what I consider best value, if I was switching right now. Enough power to be useful as both a mid-range workstation, but also a gaming system (and obviously, for streaming etc), but not totally massivelly in need of cooling like anything above, eg. 13600k. It also works splendishly with a LP air cooler, eg. the Thermalright AXP120-x67 (when tested inside the S400, it stayed below 71 C at max load). You can read up the rest of the specs in my build log.

I say "right now", because I switched in February 2023, from an AMD 7 3700X straight to an Intel i7-13700k (and from 16 GB DDR 4 to 64 GB DDR 5). But this little system in the modded S300 feels just soo ... right. I'm currently tempted to just buy a Z690 or Z790 ITX board, replace the PSU (once again *rolls eyes*) and then switch out the current board + CPU with my main system (13700k, 2x 2 TB SSD, etc.) 😅 😎

cu, w0lf.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
The advantage of going Intel would be, that you could reuse your DDR 4 RAM. But also, if you were to go with DDR 5, and decided to switch to AMD Zen 4 or 5 later on, you could keep that DDR 5, too.

Personally, my current streaming system, which runs with an i5-13500, would be what I consider best value, if I was switching right now. Enough power to be useful as both a mid-range workstation, but also a gaming system (and obviously, for streaming etc), but not totally massivelly in need of cooling like anything above, eg. 13600k. It also works splendishly with a LP air cooler, eg. the Thermalright AXP120-x67 (when tested inside the S400, it stayed below 71 C at max load). You can read up the rest of the specs in my build log.

I say "right now", because I switched in February 2023, from an AMD 7 3700X straight to an Intel i7-13700k (and from 16 GB DDR 4 to 64 GB DDR 5). But this little system in the modded S300 feels just soo ... right. I'm currently tempted to just buy a Z690 or Z790 ITX board, replace the PSU (once again *rolls eyes*) and then switch out the current board + CPU with my main system (13700k, 2x 2 TB SSD, etc.) 😅 😎

cu, w0lf.
I can only approved you. I switched to Alders Lake 12600K back to Nov 21' to keep DDR4 compatibility.
I also agree that AXP120-X67 is really good in my N-ATX v2.

However, currently I'm not found of 92mm cpu cooler as I tested many with my node 202 or SM550...in fact I dislike 92 slim fans, too high pitch for my taste..:)

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
I can only approved you. I switched to Alders Lake 12600K back to Nov 21' to keep DDR4 compatibility.
I also agree that AXP120-X67 is really good in my N-ATX v2.

However, currently I'm not found of 92mm cpu cooler as I tested many with my node 202 or SM550...in fact I dislike 92 slim fans, too high pitch for my taste..:)
As a matter of fact, the AXP120-x67 is called that way, because it is using a 120 mm fan, and is 67 mm tall, including the slim 120 fan (which I immediately replaced with the much better performing Silverstone Air Slimmer). I am NOT talking about the AXP90. No high pitched noises, and NO 92 mm fan either.

Which means you havent tested it, else you wouldnt make such a nonsensical statement.

cu, w0lf.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
As a matter of fact, the AXP120-x67 is called that way, because it is using a 120 mm fan, and is 67 mm tall, including the slim 120 fan (which I immediately replaced with the much better performing Silverstone Air Slimmer). I am NOT talking about the AXP90. No high pitched noises, and NO 92 mm fan either.

Which means you havent tested it, else you wouldnt make such a nonsensical statement.

cu, w0lf.
I don't catch you at all. I've tested, approved & promoted AXP120 67 from Thermalright for my build in N-ATX v2 where CPU cooler is compatible with it even with 25mm thick fan!

What I don't understand is for FormD T1 with 3 slots GPU as @rousseau789 is using...AXP 120 X67 is not compatible full stop...and the only compatible CPU cooler with 120mm fan in FormD T1 with 3-slots GPU is the one from Minisforum MiniITX MB ie BD770i/BD790i/AR900i.

Reactions: rfarmer

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Feb 24, 2024
I am running a ROG Strix B760 I MB right now and like it a great deal but want to play with CPU undervolting and overclocking so switching to a Asrock Z690 MB in a couple of days when it gets here. Once setup and tested, etc I will be listing the B760 MB and 32gb of Samsung DDR5 which clocked to 5400 easily using their version of XMP.

I have shipped all over the world though not in the last 10 or so years still not a big deal to take care of, let me know if interested, I would rather help out a member here than sell on Ebay, Craigslist, etc....

As I understand after reading a ton of stuff about RAM, videos, etc, gaming makes little difference going with faster RAM than that. I only switched to gain black RAM and though clocked to 6400 all the different benchmarks I have ran show barely any perceptible improvement, which I was OK with. For other uses faster RAM can be much more important.

I bought the MB open box from NewEgg and it came looking like never installed and all the accessories where in original packaging. My new to me MB is OB as well, I hope it turns out as nice as the B760 is.

I like buying everything I can used for several reasons, environmental, financial, etc...my systems is 90 used and works incredibly well for just over half the cost if new and it is current models or 1 gen older than latest gen which means little has changed for most of it.

Rick

Last edited:

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
I don't catch you at all. I've tested, approved & promoted AXP120 67 from Thermalright for my build in N-ATX v2 where CPU cooler is compatible with it even with 25mm thick fan!

What I don't understand is for FormD T1 with 3 slots GPU as @rousseau789 is using...AXP 120 X67 is not compatible full stop...and the only compatible CPU cooler with 120mm fan in FormD T1 with 3-slots GPU is the one from Minisforum MiniITX MB ie BD770i/BD790i/AR900i.
Sorry for the misunderstanding ..

I just reread everything three times to figure out what happened. Then noticed: Posted at Saturday, 5 _am_
Guess I was just waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too tired at that time, to realize you were speaking about different cases 😅
(and yeah, the FormD .. whichever site it is .. mentions its max height with 3.2 slots is 48 mm)

Onto the topic: Wondering why liquid cooling wouldnt be an option? I mean, with this frugal CPU, even a 120 mm would do a perfect job in keeping things cool, AND silent, eg. the Silverstone Vida 120 (the only review I could find shows its at least ahead of all the 92 mm air coolers). What was the max height again? 44 mm? 46mm? something like this (cant seem to find it at the moment).

cu, w0lf.