First time SFF Build

DemLep

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 8, 2019
Hey Everyone,
I have been building and working on computers for about 2 decades now, but usually stick to full size cases and massive builds. I recently decide I wanted my next build to be something a little different so I gave myself two rules for my next build:

1) It must be as small as possible
2) It should cost as close as possible to 500 USD

With that I came up with the following build:
Morex 557 Universal Mini-ITX Case​
$50​
ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING-ITX/AC​
$130​
AMD RYZEN 3 2200G Quad-Core 3.5 GHz​
$85​
Team Group MS30 M.2 2280 256GB​
$33​
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)​
$75​
picoPSU-90 + 100W Adapter Power Kit​
$50​

Right now I'm at about $423, so I've got some room on upgrades or missing components. Only the tower is included in the price restriction.

I'm not sure if the fan that comes with the CPU will fit in the case. I don't need a better cooler for this PC so it would be nice to put that money towards something else. However, looking at the sizes of everything it looks like it will be close. Anyone have any experience with that fan in that case or similarly sized cases?

Also, any advice for someone new to building SFF PC? Like I said at the top, I know how to build PC's just haven't worked with this form factor before.

DemLep

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 8, 2019
I am curious on the thermals of the Ryzen 3 2200G and if undervolting has an enough of an effect to make it worth trying. Just thinking of different ways to optimize for temperature and noise. It will be a HTPC so keeping the noise level as low as possible is important.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
You'll need about a 15mm fan to have real clearance in the Morex, I have the case. In a Realan K3 removing bothe the shroud and the 4 spacers just about touching the cover(72mm height but cover drops in a bit) same for the Asrock A300 deskmini. I use the amd stock stealth in my sig rig using the 4 spacers and Titan 15mm fan enough clearance for no turbulence noise but close enough to draw fresh air.about same height as noctua L9.

Edit I would probably go up slightly to 120W psu component for more headroom

Edit2 I had the 2400g on 160w minibox psu in the Realan K3, bad ventilation present case/psu perfect

Last edited:

DemLep

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 8, 2019
@Stevo_ Hey Thanks for the tip. I ended up adding a Noctua NH-L9a, so hopefully one of them fit. Yeah, if I debated how much head room to give it. I ordered the parts already. so when I test everything if it needs more I'll buy the larger one.

Also, are you saying the Realan K3 had bad ventilation or the Morex 557?

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
@Stevo_ Hey Thanks for the tip. I ended up adding a Noctua NH-L9a, so hopefully one of them fit. Yeah, if I debated how much head room to give it. I ordered the parts already. so when I test everything if it needs more I'll buy the larger one.

Also, are you saying the Realan K3 had bad ventilation or the Morex 557?

The K3 has the bad venting, I use the Morex presently for an Asrock J5005 fanless mobo case plenty of venting without fans. Likely you'll be fine with 90W, but early BIOS and firmware(I'm on Linux can't speak for Wondows or Hackinstosh) seemed to rail power for no apparent good reason causing temp and fan spikes. Right now have TDP capped at 65W in BIOS instead of auto, power seems real stable.

Last edited:

DemLep

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 8, 2019
Good to know. I'll make sure to update firmware and BIOS when doing the initial setup. I will be running Linux on it for now.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Good to know. I'll make sure to update firmware and BIOS when doing the initial setup. I will be running Linux on it for now.

Be cautious about updating the BIOS with the latest, I'm on the last update before the 3000 updates on an MSI B450, the 3000 updates can cause problems for older chips and depending on manufacturer causes loss of support for older chips and reduces the BIOS GUI to more of a text based interface. Check with your mobo forums.

DemLep

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 8, 2019
The SSD finally came in so I'll build the computer this weekend and put a fun little build journal/guide together of it.