First SFF Build

iinfamousaznn

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 3, 2019
So I recently got my Dan Case A4 in the mail last week from the April pre-orders. I haven't ordered any parts yet but since I'm still in the planning stages.

Here is what I have spec out so far

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply
2x Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A9 PWM 46.44 CFM 92 mm Fan

What are your thoughts of this build? I'm open to suggestions or ideas.

Thanks!

BonfireOfDreams

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2019
The 9700k will run too hot for that cpu cooler. If you do decide stick to both those parts, make sure you setup Long Power Duration Limit to 95W (and pray) if not 65w in your BIOS.

If you want to keep that CPU, I'd recommend the Asetek 645LT. *Note, if you buy that linked bundle you only need to buy a single NF-A9 for under the motherboard, as the bundle includes a NF-A9 for the radiator.
If you want to keep the cooler, buy non-K CPU & set Long Power Duration Limit to 65w.

Everything else looks good. Out of curiosity, what applications will you be using for that 32GB of RAM?

Last edited:
Reactions: iinfamousaznn

iinfamousaznn

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 3, 2019
The 9700k will run too hot for that cpu cooler. If you do decide stick to both those parts, make sure you setup Long Power Duration Limit to 95W (and pray) if not 65w in your BIOS.

If you want to keep that CPU, I'd recommend the Asetek 645LT. *Note, if you buy that linked bundle you only need to buy a single NF-A9 for under the motherboard, as the bundle includes a NF-A9 for the radiator.
If you want to keep the cooler, buy non-K CPU & set Long Power Duration Limit to 65w.

Everything else looks good. Out of curiosity, what applications will you be using for that 32GB of RAM?

Mostly gaming, I chose 32 GB as that's in my current system. I can probably save a few bucks and go down to 16GB.

I forgot to mention it was either the Noctua cooler or the Asetek AIO. Should I set the fans under the mobo and the aio as intake or exhaust?

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
The L9I is pushed to its limit already with an 8700 non-k. You could run the 9700K but it will probably throttle. Perhaps the C4-SFX or the Mjolnir would be better suited. You could always go with a T-series CPU at a performance cost.The Loque Ghost might be a better choice though. Another option would be to consider the MI-6 with a short video card. The L12-S fits in it as a CPU cooler. That will probably be ok with the 9700K if you undervolt.

Just a different thought: The 9700K and the 9900K are in the same position the 2500K and the 2600K were years ago. Today, the 2600K can still be viable due to the hyper threading which people mocked when it came out. The 2500K has not aged nearly as well.

You could get a I9-9900 and leave it at 65 watts long term TDP with a minor undervolt. That MIGHT... keyword.... MIGHT be ok in the A4-SFX with the L9i if you put a bigger/better fan on it.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Is the 2070 Strix card dual slot?

Dan A4 is strictly dual slot GPU's so double check the card you are going to get, cos I'm pretty sure the 2070 Strix OC is 49mm thick and Dan supports max of 40mm if I remember correctly.

Reactions: BonfireOfDreams

iinfamousaznn

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 3, 2019
I appreciate all the input that I've received so far. Here is the list on pcpartpicker that I've made some switches:

I've changed out the ram down to 16GB, swapped out the graphics card with one that should fit the A4, dropped a Noctua fan, and will be getting the Asetek AIO for CPU cooling. I will also be ordering some custom sleeved cables to limit the extra slack in the cables.

Code:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VzXPw6

iinfamousaznn

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 3, 2019
The L9I is pushed to its limit already with an 8700 non-k. You could run the 9700K but it will probably throttle. Perhaps the C4-SFX or the Mjolnir would be better suited. You could always go with a T-series CPU at a performance cost.The Loque Ghost might be a better choice though. Another option would be to consider the MI-6 with a short video card. The L12-S fits in it as a CPU cooler. That will probably be ok with the 9700K if you undervolt.

Just a different thought: The 9700K and the 9900K are in the same position the 2500K and the 2600K were years ago. Today, the 2600K can still be viable due to the hyper threading which people mocked when it came out. The 2500K has not aged nearly as well.

You could get a I9-9900 and leave it at 65 watts long term TDP with a minor undervolt. That MIGHT... keyword.... MIGHT be ok in the A4-SFX with the L9i if you put a bigger/better fan on it.

Now I'm thinking if I should switch out the 9700K for the 9900K. There isn't that big of a price difference, and I just ordered the Asetek 645LT.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Now I'm thinking if I should switch out the 9700K for the 9900K. There isn't that big of a price difference, and I just ordered the Asetek 645LT.

I would. 9900k has twice the threads. With new consoles being 8 core / 16 thread machines this will be important.

You’ll have to pay attention to your TDP values in the BIOS. I set my long term and short term the same. Do not be surprised when you see your CPU not running at all core 4.whatever ghz all the time. Also try undervolting starting with a 0.05 negative offset. Remember that the A4SFX was conceptualized back when 4 core CPUs where top of the consumer line.

Also I’ve found that on Asus boards using XMP memory profile has a bad habit of changing more than the memory. So I set the timings manually. I dropped 5-10C doing that.

Last edited:

iinfamousaznn

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 3, 2019
I would. 9900k has twice the threads. With new consoles being 8 core / 16 thread machines this will be important.

You’ll have to pay attention to your TDP values in the BIOS. I set my long term and short term the same. Do not be surprised when you see your CPU not running at all core 4.whatever ghz all the time. Also try undervolting starting with a 0.05 negative offset. Remember that the A4SFX was conceptualized back when 4 core CPUs where top of the consumer line.

Also I’ve found that on Asus boards using XMP memory profile has a bad habit of changing more than the memory. So I set the timings manually. I dropped 5-10C doing that.

I didn't realize the 9700K was only 8c/8t as opposed to 9900K with 8c/16t. That would also help future-proof my build for the time being. Then I guess it's settled, I'm swapping out the 9700K with the 9900K. Thanks for the advise.

For the fan under the mobo and the AIO, would you recommend setting both fans as exhaust or both fans as intake?

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Probably intakes but I’ve never tested a a4sfx aio

iinfamousaznn

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 3, 2019
Does anybody know what type of screws I need to mount the fan and the radiator to the Dan Case A4? Apparently my order of the 645LT did not come with any other screws besides the LGA 115x post screws, thumb screw to secure the pump, and the 115x bracket.