First SFF Build Review - Help!

Kinrr

Case Bender
Original poster
May 4, 2019
Hi - looking for a 'sanity check' on this build as it's my first SFF ever and first build in awhile:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($294.99 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.95 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste ($6.39 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z390M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($123.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($96.90 @ Walmart)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB XC BLACK EDITION GAMING Video Card ($509.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.50 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A9x14 29.72 CFM 92mm Fan ($15.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A9 PWM 46.44 CFM 92mm Fan ($16.95 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Dell - S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Ducky One 2 Skyline ($109.00)
Other: DAN A4 ($199.00)
Total: $2032.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-05 01:39 EDT-0400

I believe the NF-A9 x14 will go under the mobo, and the NF-A9 will go in the empty drive bays? Is this the best fan combination I can order? It will only fit two right?

I'm also considering this ASUS blower card that Dan recommends instead of the EVGA open air linked above - but I'm concerned about the noise. Any thoughts?

It looks like everything will fit, not overheat, and only use about 300W of the 450W PSU...although both GPU manufacturer pages suggest 550W+

Appreciate any feedback / suggestions before ordering!

Last edited:

UnknownBehemoth

Trash Compacter
Mar 27, 2019
- I would change the M.2 SSD to an NVMe drive, It's a way faster than a SATA. The best bang for the buck I searched would be the Corsair MP510 960GB.

- Noctua's already good NT-H1 thermal paste is included with Noctua coolers. If you want to upgrade anyway, it seems that the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is the best one right now.

- TN panel monitor's fast refresh rates are good if you're playing competitive games. If not, then I think you should consider an IPS monitor for better colors. I personally don't bother with TN panels anymore.

- I have that ASUS blower card in an Ncase M1 right now (the A4 is on its way :D) . I do hear the noise, but I don't really notice it when gaming, since the game soundtrack usually ramps up as well. I can't really compare it to anything else. I think it's quieter than a previous 1070 blower that I own, maybe because the fan exhaust is one whole PCI lane wide. Usually those blower cards has a port in the second lane.

Kinrr

Case Bender
Original poster
May 4, 2019
- I would change the M.2 SSD to an NVMe drive, It's a way faster than a SATA. The best bang for the buck I searched would be the Corsair MP510 960GB.

- Noctua's already good NT-H1 thermal paste is included with Noctua coolers. If you want to upgrade anyway, it seems that the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is the best one right now.

- TN panel monitor's fast refresh rates are good if you're playing competitive games. If not, then I think you should consider an IPS monitor for better colors. I personally don't bother with TN panels anymore.

- I have that ASUS blower card in an Ncase M1 right now (the A4 is on its way :D) . I do hear the noise, but I don't really notice it when gaming, since the game soundtrack usually ramps up as well. I can't really compare it to anything else. I think it's quieter than a previous 1070 blower that I own, maybe because the fan exhaust is one whole PCI lane wide. Usually those blower cards has a port in the second lane.

Thanks for the advice!

I went ahead and got rid of the thermal paste (didn't know any was included) and switched the SSD over to the NVMe (honestly didn't notice the one I picked wasn't - just looked at the M2 connection).

The cheapest 1440p - 144hz monitor on PartPicker is $400 - or $550 to upgrade to IPS w/ G-sync which I think is too much of a jump. I'm sure the picture will be so much better than what I'm used to seeing on an old MacBook Air I won't even notice the TN panel.

I actually read that the blower isn't so essential w/ the DAN because it's so close to the vents - and I'm going to run double fans w/ no OC on the CPU so I feel like a non-blower card won't do too much negative to the rest of the thermals so probably go with a dual fan EVGA.

Stryprod

Cable Smoosher
Mar 17, 2019
I tried the Dell, and it's is a really good monitor so long as you know the limitations. Color shift is apparent unless you're in the sweet spot. If you'll just use it head on, you'll be fine. I went with the Asus IPS because I share the monitor and I'm a big audio visual guy, so it mattered for me. Even IPS has downsides. If it's just you, the money is better saved or applied elsewhere.

Good CPU. Even if you don't OC, you may want to delid it to lower temps. If you're not comfortable with that, you can get a 9600k or 9700k which is soldered from the factory. Not as good as delid yourself, but makes a big difference in temps and no fuss.

I'd recommend the SF600 and/or platinum versions as the fan curve is even better AND if you think you may upgrade components in the future. At 300 watts, the SF450 is 20db vs 15db for the SF650. The platinum are even better, but pricier.

Enjoy your build!

Last edited:

UnknownBehemoth

Trash Compacter
Mar 27, 2019
The RTX2070 is considered a 1440p 60FPS card, if you max the graphics in AAA titles. You could get above 60FPS only in lowered settings or in less demanding games.

I could barely get 60FPS in 1440p maxed out settings in Monster Hunter World. Of course I read that the optimization in this game is bad, but still... :/