My first mini build: suggestions please!

Nikosan79

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
May 15, 2019
Hi guys,
I want to buy my first SFF build.
I really don't need a graphics card. My idea is to build something to work at home and for 4k contents.
I bought this Chinese case:
I would change the cover with a transparent one
and a chinese pico supply
https://www.ebay.it/itm/DC-PC-ATX-P...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 Which power adapter could I use? a 156W is enough?
I would buy:
- I7 8700K or 9700K, the price is quite similar on amazon
- Noctua NH-L9i (good for 9700K not for 8700K) or NH-L9x65 (good for both but maybe to high for that case)
- ASRock Z390M-ITX/ac because I need to connect 2 27" monitors
- 32 GB DDR4 any tip?
- Crucial P1 CT1000P1SSD8 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
- 1 Crucial SSD SATA 500gb + 1 Firecuda 2.5" 2TB from my dead notebook
- I need 2 80mm x 2cm fans w/o RGB, ideas?
Thank you in advice

Nikosan79

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
May 15, 2019
4k play back, Or 4k content creation? What kind of work would you be using the pc for?
4k play back I mean, movies and series. I with some scientific softwares that require 32 gb of ram for their database.

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 29, 2019
4k play back I mean, movies and series. I with some scientific softwares that require 32 gb of ram for their database.

Well, idk about the scientific workload but for 4k playback something like an R5 2400g or R3 2200g would far out perform the iGPU in any intel processor at a much lower price point. But the faster 8 or 6 core could make a significant difference in your work load. Depends on how well your workloads scales with multiple threads.

To your other question, a 156w adapter should be plenty for just about any system with out a discrete gpu.

From ram you want anything from 2666-3200 mhz, corsair vengeance is a good choice unless you're looking into ECC memory which is something I know nothing about.

Nikosan79

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
May 15, 2019
Thanks a lot @W4RR10R! I prefer I7 due to my previous pc. And I think that 3200 mhz ram could be a good choice.
Thanks

BonfireOfDreams

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2019
My understanding is that most scientific software (at least in the medical field) use as many cores as they can for compute. AMD is probably the route to go for those applications, but with your power constraints you're better of going intel methinks. Of course, any processor that meets the power requirement will finish compute, it's only a matter of how much time is required for your data sets, & how much you are willing to spend.

Last edited:

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
What is that case like in the flesh? It is available in the UK on ebay and I did wonder about it, it is priced about £35 in the UK (no PSU) which sort of worried me a bit as it seemed a bit too cheap.

Nikosan79

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
May 15, 2019
What is that case like in the flesh? It is available in the UK on ebay and I did wonder about it, it is priced about £35 in the UK (no PSU) which sort of worried me a bit as it seemed a bit too cheap.
It's very cheap but the quality is quite good. Just a bit small