Advice First build advice - MJOLNIR case

Storm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
Hello guys,

This is going to be my first Gaming PC build ?,

I went for the so-beautiful/eye-watering-expansive MJOLNIR case in matte black (Stealth), without RGB because im grown-up ?, equipped with the performance panels and the front fan (Booster cell) add-on,

The delivery of the case is expected in 3-4 months, so i'll have plenty of time to figure out good components (without going too crazy € wise),

I did a little bit of research, i put up a list of some components options (below), now i need your help and advice ?,

P. S. I wish to not go over 2000€ (excluding the case),

P. P. S. I'm more interested in under-clocking than over-clocking ?, i value more a cooler/quieter system over maximum performance,

Here is my list so far:

GPU:
- RTX 2080 super (850€)
- RTX 3070 (850€)
- I think that the sandwich layout of the case will be counter productive with the new cooling design of the upcoming (leaked) RTX 3070/80! Should i drop then the founder edition?

CPU:
- AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (320€)
- Intel Core i7-10700 (410€)
- Intel Core i5-10600K (380€)
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (280€)
- Intel Core i5-10600 (280€)
- Since i will use the build exclusively for gaming, going with AMD is it a good idea?

CPU cooler:
- Corsair Hydro Series H60 (90€)
- NZXT Kraken M22 (90€)
- I don't know if any of those small AIO cooler will fit, while the H55 will fit it appears to be discontinued?

PSU:
- Corsair SF750 (170€)
- Corsair SF600 (100€)
- Is the 750w overkill, or give me better lifetime/efficiency?

Case Fans:
- NF-A12X25 PWM (30€) + NF-A12X15 PWM (20€)
- Apparently those are the industry standard?

Motherboard:
- ASUS ROG Strix Z490 GAMING (340€)
- ASUS ROG Strix Z390 GAMING (240€)
- I don't know much about MB, i put those two placeholder here, any proposition (future proof, no over-clocking, 2x NVMe) ?

RAM:
- Corsair Vengeance 2x16 3600MHz C18 (200€)
- or should i go with 3200MHz C16 instead?

Storage:
- Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 (1TB) (200€)
- any ideas if the case allow for a second NVMe at the back of the motherboard?

Thanks in advance for everyone input, and wish me good luck on my expensive journey, and sorry for the long post ?,

Cheers,
Hamza.

Reactions: kmnvhs

Fledgling

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 13, 2020
Honestly if you've got 3-4 months to plan your build I'd wait for the RTX 3000 series / Ryzen 4000 series releasing in autumn. Intel is better for gaming but it's also way pricier than ryzen (cpu + mobo) so it's up to you if you'd rather have slightly more fps or save money.

Reactions: kmnvhs and Storm

Storm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
Honestly if you've got 3-4 months to plan your build I'd wait for the RTX 3000 series / Ryzen 4000 series releasing in autumn. Intel is better for gaming but it's also way pricier than ryzen (cpu + mobo) so it's up to you if you'd rather have slightly more fps or save money.

1. Yes you are right i should wait for the RTX 3000 series, im expecting the 3070 to be as powerful as the 2080, while being able to handle RT better, while the 3080 will be way more expensive (1100€) for my budget.

2. If you say that Intel is more expensive, that means for the same bucks AMD is faster? ?

Thank you for your help

Fledgling

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 13, 2020
Yeah waiting for the 3070 is a good idea; but if it turns out to have that weird new design and is incompatible you'd have to wait like a month for the aftermarket versions? As for the processors amd really is the best bang for buck. Intel has better clock speeds (better for gaming) but amd has more cores and threads (better for productivity and futureproofing) and decent clockspeeds, whilst being way cheaper. I don't think the differences in framerate are worth it to spend 100€ extra. If i were you i'd wait for the ryzen 4000 launch and get a ryzen 5 4600 (going to be like 250€ i think), when it comes to gaming the gpu is the most important part anyway so saving a bit on the cpu is a good idea. Hope i explained everything clearly?

Reactions: Storm

Storm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
Yeah waiting for the 3070 is a good idea; but if it turns out to have that weird new design and is incompatible you'd have to wait like a month for the aftermarket versions? As for the processors amd really is the best bang for buck. Intel has better clock speeds (better for gaming) but amd has more cores and threads (better for productivity and futureproofing) and decent clockspeeds, whilst being way cheaper. I don't think the differences in framerate are worth it to spend 100€ extra. If i were you i'd wait for the ryzen 4000 launch and get a ryzen 5 4600 (going to be like 250€ i think), when it comes to gaming the gpu is the most important part anyway so saving a bit on the cpu is a good idea. Hope i explained everything clearly?

I would love to go AMD (Like you said best bang for buck and never liked Intel business practice anyway ?) but at the end i think i need to go for the one that run cooler(i need to do some research about that)!?

And i just learned that Intel has an integrated graphics chipset, it means that i can still build/use the build (for other tasks than gaming) and be less pissed while waiting for the aftermarket RTX 3070/80 ?,

Yes you explained everything clearly, thank you again for your help ?

Fledgling

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 13, 2020
Actually i think intel chips run hotter? Looked at some benchmarks and it seems like intel in general is a bit hotter but i wouldnt be too concerned since you won't be overclocking anyway and a 120 aio is good enough. Having integrated graphics is really useful, too bad there's no amd equivalent? So i guess going intel is alright. Are you sure you need 32gb ram? For a gaming build 16gb is plentiful, and 3200mhz should be fast enough for intel.

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 2, 2020
If you're going to wait for new GPUs then i suggest you wait for ryzen 4000series... New microarchitecture should see some good gains

shanyu591

Efficiency Noob
Jun 18, 2020
1. Yes you are right i should wait for the RTX 3000 series, im expecting the 3070 to be as powerful as the 2080, while being able to handle RT better, while the 3080 will be way more expensive (1100€) for my budget.

2. If you say that Intel is more expensive, that means for the same bucks AMD is faster? ?

Thank you for your help

Yes at the same price point AMD is faster, but intel perform better in gaming. So I will say those two will perform very close at same price point.

Storm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
I really want to go AMD, first because it's cheaper and more than decent performance
Actually i think intel chips run hotter? Looked at some benchmarks and it seems like intel in general is a bit hotter but i wouldnt be too concerned since you won't be overclocking anyway and a 120 aio is good enough. Having integrated graphics is really useful, too bad there's no amd equivalent? So i guess going intel is alright. Are you sure you need 32gb ram? For a gaming build 16gb is plentiful, and 3200mhz should be fast enough for intel.

This is what i found too, AMD run cooler while being cheaper, it seems to be the better choice ?

I was targeting 16gb first, but since i heard that the upcoming "Microsoft flight simulator" may need 32go/i7|Ryzen7/RTX2080 i was a bit concerned, will we start seeing more games ram hungry popping next year? ?

Storm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
If you're going to wait for new GPUs then i suggest you wait for ryzen 4000series... New microarchitecture should see some good gains

Wait for the Intel 11th generation too, since this 10tg generation doesn't came with PCIe 4.0 support for faster M.2 storage ? I'm afraid i will wait indefinitely ?

Fledgling

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 13, 2020
I really want to go AMD, first because it's cheaper and more than decent performance

This is what i found too, AMD run cooler while being cheaper, it seems to be the better choice ?

I was targeting 16gb first, but since i heard that the upcoming "Microsoft flight simulator" may need 32go/i7|Ryzen7/RTX2080 i was a bit concerned, will we start seeing more games ram hungry popping next year? ?
We will probably see games use more ram in a year for sure, but im certain that 16gb will be enough for a few years since it's currently the "standard" for gaming, so game devs will make sure their games still run well on most systems. That being said having more ram doesn't hurt and with a budget of 2000€ might as well spend the extra? I'd still recommend going 3200mhz cl16 vs 3600mhz cl18 since theres not much of a performance difference and it's much cheaper.

kmnvhs

Caliper Novice
Feb 14, 2020
instagram.com
Hey what's up, I preordered the case too - silver with tg and performance panels.

my parts:

V1 (watercooled Cpu + air cooled gpu):
- Gigabyte X570i (simple Bios, SSD Fan, solid backplate)
- Ryzen 3700x (best cpu for gaming, streaming etc for less then 300)
- Nvidia Titan Xp StarWars Edition
- 2x8GB Gskill TridentZ Neo RGB 3600/CL16
- Corsair H75 (120mm rad.) + Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax (more space for the cables)
- Corsair SF 750 (sleeved cables)
- Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB + 860 Evo 1TB (both M.2)

V2 (air cooled cpu + water-cooled gpu):

- Gigabyte X570i
- Ryzen 7 3700x
- Alpenföhn Blackridge + Noctua NF-A9x14 Chromax (much better then the stock fan)
- 2x8GB 3200/Cl16 Corsair Vengeance LPX (low profit ram needed for the. black ridge)
- EVGA RTX 2070 XC + Hybrid Kit (120mm rad) + Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax (more space for cables)

my recommendations for you:

1. wach the review from optimum tech = gpu water-cooling > cpu water-cooling for gaming
2. don't buy. a 2080 without sale, because the 2070S is only 5% slower and have a better price/performance ratio

Mobo: Gigabyte X570/B550 (solid Backplate, dual M.2 support, more Ports)
-> I love the simple bios, undervolting is simple af in comp. to asus and co
CPU: Ryzen 3700x / 4700x (best value for gaming and multitasking)
-> i have my 3700x undervalued to 1.2v = same boost 4.2-4.25 as stock but can't hit more then 65 degrees in games
Air Cooler: Alpenföhn blackridge for cpu air cooling (best cooler under 47mm) + Noctua NF-A9x14 chromax
-> watch the YT vid from "optimum tech" for more informations
Liquid Cooler: Corsair H75 2018 for liquide cooling
-> sleeved tubes, no software needed for control, simple white led on the tube
Ram: for Air = Corsair Vengeance LPX, because It low profil (max high for the blackridge is 35mm) - 3200mhz/cl16
Ram: for water = skill trident Neo 3200/Cl14 or 3600/Cl16
GPU: blower card (2070 Super - 2080 super) = push the heat out of the case, does not warm up the cpu, could be a lil bit quieter
GPU: open air: my best experience are EVGA cards -> the xc models have a lot of sensors, dual slot and a fan stop mode
GPU: hybrid: EVGA 2070S XC hybrid; 2080S Xc hybrid -> the ftw hybrid cards are to big!
Case Fans: I am a Noctua fan boy -> NF-A12x15 Chromax = quiet, nice look, thin = more space for cable management under the psu

Storm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
Wow that was a lot of informations, i will look at that more in detail later,

1. I'm not confortable on putting a water cooling solution on the GPU, i will definitely go with an open air GPU and an aio CPU cooled, i hope with the front fan (Booster cell) add-on coupled with a Noctua NF-A12X15 PWM, i will be able to exhaust more hot air and improve the thermals ?,

2. I think the difference between Corsair Hydro Series H60 and H75 is that H75 has 2 fans one from each side, and i don't think it will fit according to their website ?,

3. From Kickstarter page they said the H55 and H60 both fit, while H55 being easier to work with, and H60 slightly better, this is why I'm going with the H60 coupled with a Noctua NF-A12X25 PWM

4. I decided to wait for the RTX 30 series, since i will receive the case after the announcement of the new series, i will take either the 3070 or 3080 as long as it doesn't go over 800-850€

5. For now my ? definitive component are :
- Corsair SF750
- Corsair Hydro Series H60
- Noctua NF-A12X25 PWM
- Two NF-A12X15 PWM
- Corsair Vengeance 2x16

6. For the CPU/Mobo im still thorn between AMD and Intel ?

wzhalex

Trash Compacter
Jul 22, 2020
Hi Storm,
I am also going to build my first ITX gaming pc, haven't decided to go for AMD or Intel. For sure I will wait for Nvidia's 3000 series for my GPU because it looks like it will drop in September. But for CPU, Zen 3 will release this year, but I don't want to wait till the end of 2020 since I already have most of the parts. My idea is if AMD won't release Zen3 by early Oct I will go for Intel since it is slightly better in gaming, probably 10600KF.

Storm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
Hi Storm,
I am also going to build my first ITX gaming pc, haven't decided to go for AMD or Intel. For sure I will wait for Nvidia's 3000 series for my GPU because it looks like it will drop in September. But for CPU, Zen 3 will release this year, but I don't want to wait till the end of 2020 since I already have most of the parts. My idea is if AMD won't release Zen3 by early Oct I will go for Intel since it is slightly better in gaming, probably 10600KF.

Great! wich case are you using?