Finding the right words to describe a GPU

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
So, today I’ve been scripting voiceovers for a YouTube video. It’s an unboxing of a Radeon RX5600 XT and as I’m writing out the part discussing airflow I’m just not finding the words I’m happy with to describe the “faces” of the card.

So, the fans are on the “front” of the card. The backplate is on the “back”. The PCIe connector is at the “bottom” and the power connector at the “top”. All fine so far and I think most would agree with those terms.

What would you call the area where the output ports are (HDMI/DP), and the edge closest to the front of the case? I started out calling them the “left” and “right” of the card, but that just doesn’t sound right.

The “ends” of the card? The “sides”?

I’ve often said that a blower type card exhausts hot air out of the “back” of the card, but that now leaves me with two backs, so that can’t be right...

Suggestions and discussion welcome and needed. I really want to get this video done!

ParallaxStax

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 24, 2019
Here's how I think of it:
  • Backplate is the top
  • Fans are on the bottom
  • Output ports are the rear
  • Closest to the front is the front

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
So, today I’ve been scripting voiceovers for a YouTube video. It’s an unboxing of a Radeon RX5600 XT and as I’m writing out the part discussing airflow I’m just not finding the words I’m happy with to describe the “faces” of the card.

So, the fans are on the “front” of the card. The backplate is on the “back”. The PCIe connector is at the “bottom” and the power connector at the “top”. All fine so far and I think most would agree with those terms.

What would you call the area where the output ports are (HDMI/DP), and the edge closest to the front of the case? I started out calling them the “left” and “right” of the card, but that just doesn’t sound right.

The “ends” of the card? The “sides”?

I’ve often said that a blower type card exhausts hot air out of the “back” of the card, but that now leaves me with two backs, so that can’t be right...

Suggestions and discussion welcome and needed. I really want to get this video done!

Yes usually front & back.

Specifically, according to what they write here; https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1650-4GT-LP, that metal part where the output ports are is called the "bracket".

steelfractal

when in doubt slap a delta on it
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Aug 15, 2019
hope this is of any help to you as this is what i can think of when naming gpu parts

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Thanks so much for all the feedback.

I was really hoping to have the video uploaded this weekend, but it looks like I’ll have to put in a few evenings after work next week to finish it.

These are the kind of things you never expect to hold up the process.