Feedback request for my first SFF-Build w/ Dan Case A4-SFXv4.1 Silver

hummingwhale

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
Dear SFF community,

I found you through reddit and after lurking for a while and being fascinated by how much horsepower you can fit in such few space, I got hooked and created my own SFF-build.

My questions to you, generous experts:
  1. Is this build balanced enough w/ respect to performance?
  2. Is the cooling adequate?
  3. Will the components fit? (I checked specs but I would like to better be safe than sorry)
  4. Is there a way to make it more silent without losing too much horse power? (I know this is subjective...)
My requirements:
  • VR Gaming
  • Casual Shooter Gaming (Good enough is good enough for me)
  • Bluetooth and WLAN on Motherboard
My Build so far:

TypeComponentComment
CaseDan Case A4-SFXv 4.1 SilverSo excited about this form factor. My current case is a 7 years old NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower. This thing is huge. :-)
CPUAMD Ryzen 7 3700X
CPU CoolerNoctua NH-L9a-AM4
GPUGeforce NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
PSUCorsair SF750 Platinum
MemoryPatriot Viper Steel 32GB Kit DDR4-3200 CL16
StorageIntel 660p 1TB M.2 2280
MotherboardAsus ROG Strix B450-I GamingNot sure about this one. I read the Wireless module from Realtek is not reliable and inferior to Intel's.
VR-HeadsetOculus Rift S
AdapterLINKUP - USB 3.0 (3.1 Gen 2) Internal IDC 20 Pin Motherboard Header to A-Key 20 Pin Female Header Active Converter for Type C Panel Mount Adapter
US Amazon Link
German Amazon Link
And to make use of the USB-C port in the front of the Dan Case. The Asus Board does not have a USB C Header.

I am deeply thankful about any advice and comment. Thanks!

seppola

Trash Compacter
Jan 1, 2020
Seems good. You could go for Ryzen 3600 instead of 3700x, SF600 instead of SF750, no need to get more than 600w. With the extra money saved, get some custom length (imo unsleeved) psu cables. I bought a few from pslatecustoms and also from etsy (china), depending on your location (US or outside) I would consider one over the other.

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
I totally agree with seppola. Unfortunately there are no AMD boards with TypeC header on except Crosshair Impact I guess. Corsair Platinum series PSUs come with sleeved and relatively better looking cables. So if you want to order custom PSU cables, you can also consider to go with Gold series which you won’t feel guilty to kick them in a corner. Cable management might be tricky for first time SFF case builders.

hummingwhale

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
Seems good. You could go for Ryzen 3600 instead of 3700x.
The CPU just arrived today and I prefer it for all the video editing for my drone footage. (Forgot to add this to my requirements in my initial post and I don't seem able to edit it - weird.)

[...] SF600 instead of SF750, no need to get more than 600w.
I checked the prices and found that both the Corsair SF600 Gold and the Corsair SF600 Platinum are the same price and only 25 € cheaper than the SF 750 Platinum. The future proofness seems worth the 25 €, don't you think?

With the extra money saved, get some custom length (imo unsleeved) psu cables.

Wow, thanks man. I just googled custom Custom Cable and watched the video from Optimum Tech on YouTube. Man this looks ridiculously cool but at the moment I don't have the time and energy for that experiment. So I will stick to the default cables for now. But you inspired me for my next experiment in a couple of months. For now I just want to get the SFF build up and running.

hummingwhale

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
Corsair Platinum series PSUs come with sleeved and relatively better looking cables. So if you want to order custom PSU cables, you can also consider to go with Gold series which you won’t feel guilty to kick them in a corner.

Thank you for the advice. I will consider that when revisiting my build in a couple of months. For now I just want to get the SFF build up and running. :-)

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
As you have a bit more space you can go for a bigger CPU cooler like the Alpenfohn Black Ridge or even a AIO. My Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 is really on it's limit and I am just running a Ryzen 2600.

seppola

Trash Compacter
Jan 1, 2020
The CPU just arrived today and I prefer it for all the video editing for my drone footage. (Forgot to add this to my requirements in my initial post and I don't seem able to edit it - weird.)

I checked the prices and found that both the Corsair SF600 Gold and the Corsair SF600 Platinum are the same price and only 25 € cheaper than the SF 750 Platinum. The future proofness seems worth the 25 €, don't you think?

Wow, thanks man. I just googled custom Custom Cable and watched the video from Optimum Tech on YouTube. Man this looks ridiculously cool but at the moment I don't have the time and energy for that experiment. So I will stick to the default cables for now. But you inspired me for my next experiment in a couple of months. For now I just want to get the SFF build up and running.

theres really no "time and energy" from your side except for ordering from either link I posted above :)

kzoltan

Cable Smoosher
Mar 30, 2020
Psu: I would second sf600 plat.
Cooler: I would consider alpenfohn black ridge
Ssd: I went with corsair mp510 960gb over intel one (they were almost the same price when I bought)
Motherboard: maybe gigabyte x570/b450 (those are definitely compatible with black ridge, x570 might be overkill)
Ram: not sure if 32gb is really needed.

hummingwhale

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
theres really no "time and energy" from your side except for ordering from either link I posted above :)

I see that now. Sorry, must have overlooked the links. I have yet to get warm with this forum. Thought this was your post signature. ^^

hummingwhale

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
As you have a bit more space you can go for a bigger CPU cooler like the Alpenfohn Black Ridge or even a AIO. My Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 is really on it's limit and I am just running a Ryzen 2600.

Thanks for the advice. I have mixed feelings about the Alpenföhn. Some people praise it as a marvel of engineering. Others loath it and seem to have compatibility issues. Is there another fan you can recommend which is nice to the Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming?

Also, do you think I need an additional fan in the case or would that be overkill?

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
Thanks for the advice. I have mixed feelings about the Alpenföhn. Some people praise it as a marvel of engineering. Others loath it and seem to have compatibility issues. Is there another fan you can recommend which is nice to the Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming?
I have no experience with your case. But I noticed that it is difficult to get my system cold/quiet under load with that tiny NH-L9a. At least with standard voltage and typical Asus OC default settings in the bios my CPU gets oveer 80 degree while gaming and the CPU fan far away from silient. It took me a lot of tweaking to come to a point where I found a good balance between performance and noise.

Also, do you think I need an additional fan in the case or would that be overkill?

I replaced the fan of the NH-L9a with a 120mm version and installed 2 92mm fans on the back side of my GPU. If you have space more fans are always a good idea. My GPU runs with 300Mhz (I could go higher but than I end up in higher temps and fan speed) more by default and has a bit more than 60 degree under load. Before it was almost 70 degree.

Last edited:

larkmaj

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
I have yet to get warm with this forum.
I'm not sure if you found it yet, but there's a Dan Case specific sub forum on this site. Lots of discussion on different builds and hardware there to help you get ideas.

hummingwhale

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
I'm not sure if you found it yet, but there's a Dan Case specific sub forum on this site. Lots of discussion on different builds and hardware there to help you get ideas.
Awesome, thanks for the hint. I will definitely check this out.

hummingwhale

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
Just a heads up: The Patriot Viper Steel 32GB Kit DDR4-3200 CL16 don't work with the Alpenföhn Black Ridge. They are simply too high. I swapped them for Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16.

hummingwhale

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
Thanks for the hint, @thelaughingman. All the parts just arrived and I started to put it together only to figure out that the Patriot Viper Steel Memory Kits are way to high for the Alphenföhn Black Ridge. I ordered the Corsair Vengeance LPX as a substitute. They will arrive tomorrow and will finally be able to set it up in some old case I have laying around. My Dan Case A4-SFXv 4.1 Silver will arive not before 11.05 - if I can trust my supplier. I will let you know and post pictures when I have set it all up.

Reactions: thelaughingman