PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hey all,

SFN is very much in its early days, and because of that, it remains malleable for us to make it as we want it to be. A little earlier today, in fact, Aiboh added a feature that was requested by @iFreilicht, pretty much on a whim - so we're already beginning to tweak and tune the site as needed/desired.

...Consequently, it makes sense (to me, at least) to have a specific thread where everyone can put in suggestions for features, functionality, or other ideas, to add to the forum. Thus, I've elected to make exactly that :D And although we (obviously) won't be able to work on or implement every request, we've already started to make improvements based on feedback, so I'm sure there's more of that to come.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
SFN? Small Form (factor) Network?

I have an idea, but I've been discussing it in PM with Aiboh ;)

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
SFN? Small Form (factor) Network?

Yep. Doesn't exactly correlate perfectly, but it's better than "SFFFN", "S3FN", "SFFN", or "SFF Forum" :p

I have an idea, but I've been discussing it in PM with Aiboh ;)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I feel everything is already implemented. The only thing I fear we might need is spam bot mitigation. I've seen it ruin forums, because moderators couldn't keep up deleting users and posts as fast as bots could spam them. I don't know how resilient XenForo is against this or if the software has a good bot defense system integrated.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The newer versions of Xenforo come with a honeypot system by default.

And of course I could always turn on post moderation for new users like some other forums do. It's annoying for the occasional poster though so I'd like to avoid that.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I thought it was SFF Forum Net.
For here it is.

BTW, here's a cool feature that's been implemented for a while but you guys may not realize is there:

It's under browsing preferences

There's a few options for how it displays

And this is the result! Great for if you have lots of tabs open like I usually do :p

Reactions: Phuncz

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I feel everything is already implemented...

To be clear, technical features and functionality comprise only half of what makes the forum. The other half could be the way it's structured, things we do, and so forth.

So, for example, if we wanted to do a "Thread of the Week" or "Featured Thread", that's an idea.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Looks like a feature regression crept in: on the 'New Posts' page under the Forum menu, the 'Goto First Unreade Message' link used to be a nice easily selectable text link to the right of the thread name. It is now a tiny blue dot to the left of the thread name between it and the avatar image (it's selection area actually overlaps the avatar's).

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Also, when you hover over Alerts (the bell icon) it opens, but it doesn't auto-close unless you click. Mind you, not a horrible bug, just a slightly different behavior one might or might not like.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Looks like a feature regression crept in: on the 'New Posts' page under the Forum menu, the 'Goto First Unreade Message' link used to be a nice easily selectable text link to the right of the thread name. It is now a tiny blue dot to the left of the thread name between it and the avatar image (it's selection area actually overlaps the avatar's).

This is fixed.

Also, when you hover over Alerts (the bell icon) it opens, but it doesn't auto-close unless you click. Mind you, not a horrible bug, just a slightly different behavior one might or might not like.

I didn't intend this but personally I prefer this new behavior. Not a big deal though so if there's strong feelings for the old behavior I can fix it.

Also, the update included lots of nice little features but one I really like is multi-quote, very handy for quoting across multiple pages.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Superb work ! I'm oldschool so I CTRL+C and CTRL+V a lot to get around multi-quoting but I'm going to try the new way and see if it works properly on this forum.

Regack

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2015
I'm not sure if it's just me, but the [NEW] tag next to unread things is now a lot more difficult to read with white text on a light-grey background. Is there a setting somewhere, as this seems to have changed with the December 12th update.

I still know there's something there, because the tag shows up, but it seems like it should be easier to read the text.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I've added Imgur BBCode integration, let me know what you guys think. Here's some examples of it:

Gallery

Single image using image link (not the direct link)

GIF/GIFV (embeds HTML5 video for faster loading)

If you copy the image link URL it should automatically convert it or insert the link with the tag
Code:
[MEDIA=imgur]imgurlink[/MEDIA]
to make it work. GIF/GIFV should do it automatically though whether it's a direct or image link.

BBCode IMG, you can still embed like before by using the IMG tag around the direct link in the post editor or using the BBCode url generated by Imgur.

Last edited:
Reactions: jØrd and Phuncz

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Nice stuff, although perhaps some CSS modding to suit the theme of the forum would make it integrate better.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Good idea, if people like the feature I'll work on styling it better.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I like, the gallery feature can be useful in build logs or case mods in the first post.