Cooling Fan grids?

Fireworm

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jan 5, 2019
I was curious, has anyone experimented with multiple fans in a grid for their air cooler?

Like, instead of one 120mm, use four 60mm fans.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I don't think there's much point to it. A single 120mm fan will move at least as much air as four 60mm fans for the same amount of noise, and at a lower less annoying pitch.

Fireworm

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jan 5, 2019
Looks like four 60mm Noctua fans would move 120 m3/h @ 19dba vs one 120mm moving 120 m3/h @ 25.1 dba. Thus, they would be 6 dba quieter.

Am I missing something aside from the wiring complexity?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Looks like four 60mm Noctua fans would move 120 m3/h @ 19dba vs one 120mm moving 120 m3/h @ 25.1 dba. Thus, they would be 6 dba quieter.

Am I missing something aside from the wiring complexity?
Four 60mm fans will be louder than one 60mm fan. It's not additive - i.e. not 4x the loudness - but there will definitely be a noise increase from each additional fan. There's a thread on SPCR related to this topic (although it compares same size fans). According to that four fans would add about 6 dB, putting it on even footing with the 120mm fan. The dB rating doesn't tell the whole story, however, and it's likely the smaller fans will have a higher pitch moving the same air.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Four NF A6x25 fans vs One NF P12x25 fan:-
a. four fans costs much more
b. static pressure of A6x25 is less than that of NF P12, making them less effective for pushing air through a heatsink
c. wiring the 4 fans needs more cabling
d. mounting the 4 fans onto the heatsink needs more work
f. 19dba is for a single A6x25 fan. 4 will make more noise.
g. assuming one 60mm fan is master while the other three 60mm fans are slaved to the master's pwm signal, in reality, 4 fans will unlikely to spin at exactly the same rpm, potentially making turbulence and/or resonance noise

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
you should try it anyway. the results might be interesting. i'm interested in comparing 4 92mm fans vs a single 180mm fan on a 180mm radiator. just to see the static pressure difference in action.

Fireworm

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jan 5, 2019
Four 60mm fans will be louder than one 60mm fan. It's not additive - i.e. not 4x the loudness - but there will definitely be a noise increase from each additional fan. There's a thread on SPCR related to this topic (although it compares same size fans). According to that four fans would add about 6 dB, putting it on even footing with the 120mm fan. The dB rating doesn't tell the whole story, however, and it's likely the smaller fans will have a higher pitch moving the same air.

That's an interesting read. One thing I was considering was that four fans can fit differently in a case (for things like intake / exhaust). There are very tiny fans 6mm thin, which changes the max height of coolers (minus their included fans). You could also possibly set them up like server cooling fans, blowing "through" the cooler, not down or up, since the fans' height (30mm) is not an issue.

Four NF A6x25 fans vs One NF P12x25 fan:-
a. four fans costs much more
b. static pressure of A6x25 is less than that of NF P12, making them less effective for pushing air through a heatsink
c. wiring the 4 fans needs more cabling
d. mounting the 4 fans onto the heatsink needs more work
f. 19dba is for a single A6x25 fan. 4 will make more noise.
g. assuming one 60mm fan is master while the other three 60mm fans are slaved to the master's pwm signal, in reality, 4 fans will unlikely to spin at exactly the same rpm, potentially making turbulence and/or resonance noise

I was using Noctua as an example, other fans can be had cheaper, especially on taobao. I found some 30x30x6 for $0.12 / ea, but have to pay shipping.

you should try it anyway. the results might be interesting. i'm interested in comparing 4 92mm fans vs a single 180mm fan on a 180mm radiator. just to see the static pressure difference in action.

Yea, I will. Got ten 30mmx30mmx10mm fans coming from China... 5.5 cfm each, 23 dba though...

Last edited:
Reactions: NinoPecorino

Fireworm

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jan 5, 2019
The slimmer the fan, the less air flow and the less pressure.

Install the biggest fan with the most depth you can fit. Performance wise there's no point.

For curiosity sake... It'd make an interesting test.

Seems like if they increase the RPM, they also increase the airflow / pressure (and noise).

Sunon's MF30060V1-1000U-A99:
30x30x6 mm
CFM: 4.9
Pressure: 0.17 in-H2O
dB(a): 23.6
RPM: 9100
5V, 112mA.