ETA PRIME has tested quite possibly the smallest eGPU on the market right now; the GPD G1 eGPU. The 225 x 111 x 30mm unit is powered by an AMD Radeon RX 7600M XT GPU. This is a mobile GPU, but offers up to a claimed 21.4TFLOPs of single precision computer performance. The unit does not use an external power brick, and also doubles as a SD card reader and USB hub. HDMI 2.1 support is included, and the unit can be connected by Oculink in addition to USB4.
Enough marketing mumbo jumbo…
This is a neat unit. It’s going to be good for 1080P gaming. Though personally I prefer Nvidia’s DLSS technology, AMD’s FSR is being pretty widely adopted, and Intels XESS is seeing gains as well. The pricing...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
definitely agreed! also interesting that it took almost 7 years for someone to figure out a good (consumer) use-case for this...

PS: OSMETA does some really cool stuff beyond Oculink... e.g. dual SFF-8654 (SlimSAS) for external PCIe4 x16 speed...

View attachment 2619
I had something similar from MaxCloudOn a couple years back.
There was a PCIe x16 card, though with internal connectors, and 4 cables (SFF-8087 connectors but custom pin-out). I was using it for 4x4 and unfortunately they only had x4 or x8 GPU-end PCBs but at least they all had 6-pin power!

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
There was a PCIe x16 card, though with internal connectors, and 4 cables (SFF-8087 connectors but custom pin-out). I was using it for 4x4 and unfortunately they only had x4 or x8 GPU-end PCBs but at least they all had 6-pin power!

what I like about OSMETA is that they really put a lot of thought in their stuff... like this set for example:

1689405587271.png

that with a nice tiny custom case / eGPU - e.g. like my SMALL3 - would be pretty awesome!

1689406139493.png

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
The campaign is now live on Indiegogo (until 16 August):

GPD G1: The Smallest Graphics Card Expansion Dock | Indiegogo

I also read that Ayaneo will be releasing devices with the Oculink connector, so I'm hoping this catches on with handheld and mini PC manufacturers. Fingers crossed that it also does well enough not to be a one off, and that they continue to launch newer versions as more powerful GPUs become available with a suitable TGP.

I'd love to get one of these and have it hooked up to my TV as a more powerful PC based alternative to the Nintendo Switch. A handheld dock with both USB and Oculink connectors could make this happen.

Last edited:

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
The OSMETA is sold here, under the Morningstar brand:

I probably won't receive my GPD Win Max 2 (which has an Oculink port) for another month or so, but I might pick up the OSMETA at under $50 just to play around with once it does.

Reactions: dealda and rfarmer

feklee

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 11, 2022
Does anybody have the G1 and can run a little test with Adobe Camera Raw?

In particular, I'm intested in how long AI based denoising takes on a 20 MP image from my Sony ZV-1. Example: 2023-11-03+08_boats.ARW