Log Enricko's Skyreach 4 Mini

enricko7

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Hello SFF.Net! I'm here with another build log, but this time to document my journey building my black NFC Skyreach 4 Mini. I've had it for just over a year, but it's been a fun case to mod, tweak, and otherwise tune. I just wanted to document the work I've done on it here.

Build Goal: Well, this is a bit complicated. I had a Sliger Cerberus (wonderful case, and I honestly plan to buy a Cerb X when I have an excuse/reason to), but I wanted something more portable. I prioritized build quality and portability when searching for a new case. I have followed NFC for a while and the S4M fit the bill. I know it has its drawbacks, but it makes the most sense as a well made, community supported enclosure.

I decided to go Team Red for this build because I like to root for the underdog, even when it comes to giant corporations. I'm pretty hyped about 7nm fab processes and I hope AMD keep pushing Intel to compete. The novelty of the 5700ITX from Powercolor had its own appeal. A year ago, it was probably the most power efficient gpu in a nearly true ITX form factor at ~175mm long, two slots, and standard height. Add the 3700X 8 cores and 16 threads at 65W thermal design and you have an appropriately powerful system in a small envelope.

For an on the go display, MSI's MAG161V 15.6" portable monitor attracted me the most. It's a name brand so warranty support should be a little better than the generic rebrand imports on Amazon. It's USB powered with mini-HDMI or USB-C input and when folded flat fits perfectly over the S4M in my Wallye Duffel bag.

Enricko's S4M.v1
Case: NFC Skyreach 4 Mini + Power Button
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory
Storage: MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro 960 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 8 GB ITX 2DH Video Card
PSU: HDPlex 400W AC/DC/ATX

I'm defining v1 as the build while I was using the HDPlex 400W AC/DC/ATX combo. If you read through the album, I've made some notes on how I built v1. For a while I used the HDPlex in a bricked setup where the AC/DC module was external to the case like a laptop power supply. Eventually I got tired of that and decided to free up a little more desk space. I soldered a GX16 connector and cable for ac/dc connection to the back of the case (NFC offers this through their online shop now). That wasn't too complex of a mod, but it could've ended up way worse. I should've taken both PSU Panels off of the AC/DC module for cutting instead of leaving the one on.

V1.5 was when I got a walnut 3D bezel from Josh. I wanted some wood furniture and extra ventilation and it just made sense to order from Josh.

Reactions: Kormylets and ikara

enricko7

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
S4M.v2 Update:

Not really any changes to computer parts here. Just added a second m.2 drive for games and a fan or two. I purchased a G-Stick Skyreach 600W power supply. Did I need the upgrade? Not really... but it helps keep future upgrade options more open. Plenty of power overhead and more room for bigger GPUs (though I hope board partners start moving to smaller cooling solutions).

G-Stick Upgrade

Like I said, I didn't really NEED to get a different PSU. But I wanted it for 'future-proofing.' Such a dumb phrase, but that's what it did. 600W in a small form factor that allows for easy GPU installs. Plus if I want to get weird in the future, this makes it easier to externally water cool the S4M. All the power could come from the S4M while the radiator/fan/pump system can sit outside the case. I may never do that... but I COULD if I wanted to.

Custom Bezel

The G-Stick kind of necessitates a different bezel. You can use the stock 2D bezel just fine by flipping it to where the power button cutout is on the GPU side. You need a power button with longer cables to reach your motherboard's headers if you do that. The other option that I saw people do with their G-Sticks was to use a very flush mount power switch. I wasn't feeling up for that challenge so I took the easy(?) way out and designed my own 2D bezel. I still wanted the slots in front of the GPU. I decided on a different material as well. SendCutSend can do Titanium and so... here it is! The second (afaik) Ti S4M bezel. I flame anodized the cutouts to look like a Titanium exhaust pipe kinda. The colors are a great and actually kinda subtle touch. It was a very fun project and I'm super happy with how it turned out.

Homemade Case Feet

I've wanted to try my case horizontally for a while. Although NFC sells their own case feet, my friend gave me the opportunity to buy a slab of walnut from him and I happily obliged. Looking for something to do with it, I decided to make little wooden case feet. The process I came up with yielded okay results, but this would be much easier with a drill press and/or a lathe. I used a hole saw with a 1/4" center bit to drill out the wood. Then I glued on leather washers to both sides and used a threaded insert. Could've used a 9/32" drill bit to fit the threaded inserts a little better but the 5/16" I had on hand did fine. Oiled with Boos Block oil and put to work. Another fun little project for my S4M.

enricko7

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Is there a cable extension i can use for the s4m power button?

Maybe? Are you talking about for use in an S4M or in a larger chassis? NFC sells two lengths of power buttons, and you could probably ask them for a custom length one. Otherwise you can find some basic power button cable extensions on Amazon and the like.