Enhance ENP7660B fan swap

casni

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jun 27, 2020
Hey everyone,

I want to assemble a high performing SFF build. These are the parts I have currently ordered:
  • CASE: Velka 3 revision 2.0
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 MINI ITX
  • MOBO: Gigabyte X570-I Aorus Pro WiFi
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB DC 3200MHz
  • SSD: Gigabyte Aorus SSD 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe
  • COOLER: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 chromax.black
  • PSU: Enhance ENP-7660B 600W Platinum
Naturally I want my build to be as silent as possible, so I am a little in doubt as to whether or not I should swap out the default fan in the PSU.
Enhance ENP7600 PLATINUM (500W-600W) Spec
Enhance ENP7600 PLATINUM (500W-600W) Full spec

So far I have found three contenders for (possibly) better fans:
  1. Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM 12V
  2. ADDA AD0412XB-C51 12V 0.2A
  3. Sunon KDE1204PKV3 12V 0.03A 0.4W
For low noise levels, Noctua is usually the better choice, but maybe a higher constant air flow would be a better noise-option overall?
If the Noctua cannot handle the heat output from the PSU at a low RPM, and starts ramping up after a while, I would rather go with a fan with a higher constant air flow (and higher noise levels) if this means it never ramps up to full-speed.

So my question is:
What is the best option here for an overall low noise experience?
One of the three options listed above, or maybe a fourth option I am not aware of?
Or is the best option actually to leave the fan as it is?

PS: Money is not an issue here to get a minor improvement in noise reduction, and I will make sure not to get electrocuted when (if) swapping the fan :)

Thanks in advance!
CASNI

Reactions: confusis

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
I have the Enhance 7660B in my Velka 3, I don't hear it over my NH-L9a or 2070 ITX. Put it together on your motherboard box first and test for sound before putting it in the Velka 3, You might be surprised how quite it actually is. :)

Reactions: casni

JohnCA

Average Stuffer
Dec 2, 2018
The fan on the 7660B is already quiet enough.
Changing the fan is not recommended, I've seen many people reporting that their PSU starts failing after some weeks due to overheating...

Reactions: casni

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Last edited:

casni

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jun 27, 2020
very nice config!
could you please post feedback on psu?
Received my modded (shorter black cables) 7660B from Taobao a couple of weeks ago - works like a charm.
ChinStrap is completely right: NH-L9a and 2070 ITX is where the noise comes from.
Looking into undervolting CPU for better thermals (waiting for release of 1usmus' ClockTuner for Zen 2 Ryzen), and undervolting GPU with MSI Afterburner.

Reactions: jhonsmith

Fueled By Yams

Trash Compacter
Jan 21, 2020
i would like to note that not all ENP-7660B units are semi silent, without another fan swap [ only about half ] .

for example- SFFTEC has more than 10 complaints on units he sold, in his last batch, even though only about 25 people in his last batch, actually received them : https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/sfftec-shipping-updates.13843/page-16
I'm sorry to revive this ancient thread, but I think this is important info if anyone like me stops by in the future. You're right; my fan on the SFFTEC 7660B is whiny and is 100% audible over the noise floor of an apartment next to a busy street. As far as I know, he swapped the fan from the stock 7660B. It isn't loud in volume, just very annoying in pitch. I'm about to do a 20mm noctua fan swap - hoping it provides enough airflow.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I'm sorry to revive this ancient thread, but I think this is important info if anyone like me stops by in the future. You're right; my fan on the SFFTEC 7660B is whiny and is 100% audible over the noise floor of an apartment next to a busy street. As far as I know, he swapped the fan from the stock 7660B. It isn't loud in volume, just very annoying in pitch. I'm about to do a 20mm noctua fan swap - hoping it provides enough airflow.

there are 2 solutions to this :

a) the AliExpress Flex PSU i've recommended is cheap enough, that when you add costs to have it modded, with a Noctua fan, its still around the same price, as other basic Flex PSUs.

b) @Otamot sells a Flex PSU, with an option for the Noctua fan, as a standard default.

Reactions: Overtek

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
Is it running at 100% with no load? voltage on fan header should be 3Vdc with no load.

Fueled By Yams

Trash Compacter
Jan 21, 2020
Is it running at 100% with no load? voltage on fan header should be 3Vdc with no load.
No, I don't think it was at 100%. I could be wrong about that. I already swapped it for a noctua, it was very simple. Right now I have the noctua fan plugged into the motherboard running at 50% on idle and 100% when there's any substantial load, just to be safe. It's WAY, WAY quieter.

Actually idk why I'm telling you that, obviously you know already 😅

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
No, I don't think it was at 100%. I could be wrong about that. I already swapped it for a noctua, it was very simple. Right now I have the noctua fan plugged into the motherboard running at 50% on idle and 100% when there's any substantial load, just to be safe. It's WAY, WAY quieter.

Actually idk why I'm telling you that, obviously you know already 😅
Do I? I probably lose track, but I've not plugged a noctua fan thats in a psu into a motherboard...yet

Just hoping to find someone who has one with a fan running at 100%. So I can perhaps get them to check it and see if its an easily resolved issue.

Would be fault from the get go if it occurs.

Reactions: Fueled By Yams