DENG F12 side rad mod(aluminium chassis)

bomaaye

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
I've been thinking about modding my DENG F12 in order to allow me to accommodate a thicker side radiator. Case structure is 8mm aluminium, and I'm looking to sand down ~2mm where the radiator brackets rest, as seen in the images linked.

I've heard these things may cause some structural issues but wanted some extra clarification before doing anything,just wondering how likely that is to actually have any effect on the strength of the case. My assumption is that the chassis is strong enough anyway, shaving off 2mm just where the brackets rest shouldn't really hurt it.

Any thoughts?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
As I just finished building a Deng F15 system, I think shaving 2mm off would not cause a structural problem.
But the key is the method to form such an indentation/notch. Just do it slowly and perhaps by hand, if possible. I have not done this before but I reckon the main issue is potential cracking.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
2mm is a lot of aluminum to sand.

If it can be disassembled there, probably easier, better to just use a drill pressure and drill out the material.

Personally I would just make a "Z" bracket instead, assuming you have enough clearance.

bomaaye

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
2mm is a lot of aluminum to sand.

If it can be disassembled there, probably easier, better to just use a drill pressure and drill out the material.

Personally I would just make a "Z" bracket instead, assuming you have enough clearance.
I did actually think about doing that exact thing, only issue is I would need to disassemble the side rad as the brackets that came with it arent horizontal. They mount to the case, and is diagonal for maybe 10mm or so. I'd pretty much just need to remove one bracket, measure each spot then bring it back 5-6mm or so.