DAN Case: Which hardware?

Maroder

What's an ITX?
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Hi there,

I didn't even know of this place, until a friendly member of another site send me here, as my question is very SFF specific.

Anyway I currently are planing my new setup in a brand new DAN case and would really welcome your opinion on this project. I will mainly will use this setup for gaming purposes and want to keep it as stable and cool as possible in this small form factor. Also I really would like to keep USB-Port in the front or the DAN case, so I will have to stick to air cooling and can't install an AIO 92mm watercooler.

For the beginning I will not overclock and leave everything at stock speed (except the RAM with XMP-Profile).

This hardware is my current consideration
  • Case: DAN Case v2
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K or i5-8400
  • CPU Cooler: Cooltek LP53 + NF A9x14 PWM
  • RAM: G.Skill RipJaws V, 16GB, DDR4-3200, CL14-14-14-34, 1.35v
    or Corsair Dominator Platinum DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-2666, CL15-17-17-35, 1.2v
  • GFX: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
  • Board: Supero C7Z370-CG-IW (ITX)
  • SSD: Samsung SSD 960 PRO 512GB
  • Power Supply: Corsair SF450
  • Monitor: Dell S2417DG 23.8" 165Hz

I am a little afraid, the 8600K might run a little too hot in the small case so I am considering getting a 8400 instead. The other possibility would be to delid the 8600K to archive lower temps. But would a delid keep the temps down enough? I know the DAN case is rated for a TDP of 65w with some headroom but I cant find any information on what temps to expect in this szenario. What do you think?

Also i am not sure with the RAM. I'm still torn back and forth between the RipJaws and the Corsair Dominator 2666MHz, as the later probably will rund cooler with only 1.2v needed. Would i even notice the difference regarding heat buildup to 3200MHz, 1.3v? What RAM type or brand would you put in this setup?

I really would appreciate your opinion on this setup before I pull the trigger. Other suggestions beside RAM and CPU are of course welcome, too!

The main goal is to archive a gaming machine, which allows for good temperatures. The case will sit right next to me, so everything that helps the noise reduction by letting the fans spin slower ist appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Cheers
Maroder

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Make sure you get a CPU cooler rated for the CPU TDP. I run a Cryorig C7 on a i5-7500 and have no problems, runs very quiet on stock fan curve, but for 95+W TDP, you may want to look into a Noctua cooler. I'd recommend against overclocking, but you may want to get a K CPU anyway for easier undervolting. Have never heard of the Supero brand.