Log My Dan Case A4 needed more cooling!

Rayat

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Jan 25, 2021
So the other day I upgraded my 2600x to a 3700x, slapped on the NH-L9a-AM4 and the results were dreadfull! Even just when the computer was doing NOTHING i had like 70-72 degress!
So thought i need a new CPU cooler... i did try to find different solutions, have even been thinking about selling the dan case. I dont really mind the size being a bit larger... so had a look around and couldnt really find anything like the dan case (same setup) but wider to accomodate the a cooling tower. (any suggesten to that format is welcome! max height 280mm)

anyway the build as setup like this:

Case: Dan Case A4 V4
PSU: Be Quiet! sfx-l power 500w
CPU: AMD 3700X
CPU Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock 4
Mobo: ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 VENTUS GP - 8GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 C16 32GB
SSD: Samsung 970 PRO NvME 1TB

New temps on idle, 36 degress, fan is spinning at 325 rpm, i CANT hear it! 😎

Sure im running with my side off... but honestly, i cant even see my case from where i sit, so who cases...

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
if you want to keep the A4, AIO is the only way to go. Either the Asetek 645LT or the Alphacool eisbaer lt 92.

if you're ok with larger size, getting up to 8-10L with the T1, Mjolnir, Ghost / Ghost-clones will allow you to fit larger top-down cooler so temps and noise will be much better. For the T1 and Mjolnir you can go for 120 AIO also

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
One can get proper results with some undervolting. You might want to check this video. Slapping on a fan duct to that L9a would enhance the cooling performance even more.

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020
The A4 is not that bad on cooling, and an L9i should be 'okay' on a 3700x, are you sure you have a good mount? is the air being pushed into the cooler able to escape?
you can try a C7G, i cooled a R7 1700 in the A4 with L9a overclocked for over a year without any temp issues, lower tdp chip though, then i went to a 3950x with c7g in the A4, this ran warm, but idle temps were still only in the high 40's low 50's. I think something else is wrong with your setup to be idling at 72c, with the fan at 0rpm you should still be idling lower than that with an l9a. Take a look t the optimum techs video on LP coolers vs the higher tdp chips.

mega9462

Efficiency Noob
Dec 10, 2020
Thank you so much for this!
I am actually thinking of doing the same (maybe even with 360 aio if possible).
Did you measure any specs with the air cooler to make sure it fits ? Kinda worried I might choose something that might hit something.

So the other day I upgraded my 2600x to a 3700x, slapped on the NH-L9a-AM4 and the results were dreadfull! Even just when the computer was doing NOTHING i had like 70-72 degress!
So thought i need a new CPU cooler... i did try to find different solutions, have even been thinking about selling the dan case. I dont really mind the size being a bit larger... so had a look around and couldnt really find anything like the dan case (same setup) but wider to accomodate the a cooling tower. (any suggesten to that format is welcome! max height 280mm)

anyway the build as setup like this:

Case: Dan Case A4 V4
PSU: Be Quiet! sfx-l power 500w
CPU: AMD 3700X
CPU Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock 4
Mobo: ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 VENTUS GP - 8GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 C16 32GB
SSD: Samsung 970 PRO NvME 1TB

New temps on idle, 36 degress, fan is spinning at 325 rpm, i CANT hear it! 😎

Sure im running with my side off... but honestly, i cant even see my case from where i sit, so who cases...

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
You could do custom water loop and external rad if you're gonna have external elements anyway.

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
I love hotrod builds, but not if you're paying that much for a case. If you aren't willing to underclock on a Dan A4, you shouldn't have a Dan A4 XD

Reactions: SFFMunkee

mega9462

Efficiency Noob
Dec 10, 2020
Well I get your point but I just bought Dan case due to its convenience of bringing it along flights (can't easily do this with larger itx cases). However, most of the time, when its just sitting at home, I'd like to just slap on a big ass cooler and use the hardware at max LOL.

dc443

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2020
The hot rod look is pretty great, not gonna lie. I would actually say if you just invest in a bunch of extra thermal paste, make sure you're stocked up on 99% alcohol, swapping the CPU cooler between a low profile and full dual tower every few months when you need to go on a trip or something is probably actually practical. You just wouldnt want to be doing this every day or every week since the mounting mechanisms aren't designed for that kind of wear.