Curious about jobs in Computer Case Design

Mince

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 18, 2017
www.youtube.com
As the title suggests, I am curious about what kind of experience and requirements are usually found when applying to a company such as Caselabs, NZXT, or really any kind of company (Dancases please notice me). I'm 15 years old, and really intrigued by designing cases, and in school we're currently doing a career finder thing. In the end, the program ended up suggesting things such as:
  • Computer Hardware Engineers
  • Computer Network Architects
  • Computer Programmers
  • Computer Systems Analysts
  • Computer Systems Engineers/Architects
I was curious as to which one of these would probably be best for going into case design. I'm guessing "Computer Systems Engineers/Architects" but I'm not too sure. Really just any kind of information on careers of this sort would be much appreciated. :)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
None of those really apply.

Case design is more mechanical engineering, CAD, industrial design, and manufacturing engineering. But even then, most of the indie case designers here have no formal training in any of those.

So don't feel as though you have to wait to take classes like those to learn how to design a case.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
If you want to make money at it, you'll want to look into the embedded systems space. Not only would you need manufacturing and structural design and analysis skills, but you'll also want thermodynamics/thermofluids skills, as well. Vibrations would be of additional use for devices and cases that go in cars, airplanes/drones, ships, etc. All of these fall under Mechanical Engineering.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
You're 15 so you still got a lot of time ahead of you. Figure out what you'd like to be a part of and go from there. Industrial design for example goes through the initial conceptual phase and come up with the first visions of what the product will look like. As @Kmpkt said, a portfolio is very helpful for design jobs such as this. You can even make physical models if you need to.

Reactions: VegetableStu

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Not sure where you are located, but as a Georgia Tech alum, I'd suggest Mechanical Engineering as ||| suggested. Maybe a minor in Industrial Design for the aesthetics and human-centered design piece.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Mechanical Engineering is really, really where it's at imo :) covers all the bases and let's you do most of anything.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Also pretty important to have a decent amount of hands-on experience building PCs, and in general following developments in PC hardware. You're probably already doing this, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I think what you are asking about is working for established companies as a case designer rather than designing them for yourself or own company? Although its not a necessity, in the UK its very hard to get a job in design without a degree or equivalent qualification.

Industrial Design focuses on developing your artistic side, concepts, aesthetics, ergonomics, semantics and and blue sky thinking. Whereas Mechanical Engineering focuses on the more technical aspects of design such as engineering principles, materials and manufacturing. Product Design (the route I chose) is more of a middle ground dipping into aspects of both sides but in less detail, you also get a few other disciplines thrown in to help build up an overall understanding of product development, you effectively become a jack of all trades, master of none.

If I wanted to target working for a big brand company designing cases and I was just starting out with my career, I would probably look to take a course that leans towards Industrial Design but has some Product Design element to it as well. Even within Product/industrial design every course is different, each University or college will have a different blend of subjects to make up the course, its up to you to find the course you feel is right to give you the most relevant skills for the profession you are aiming at.

This is a bit of generalisation, but... you can tell if a product has been designed by an Engineer, because it usually performs like a dream, is bomb proof and cheap to manufacture, but it looks like that picture of a house your 5 year old drew for you! XD

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with that statement, but I have met very few Mechanical Engineers that understand or are concerned about the importance of aesthetics for consumer products!

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
This is a bit of generalisation, but... you can tell if a product has been designed by an Engineer, because it usually performs like a dream, is bomb proof and cheap to manufacture, but it looks like that picture of a house your 5 year old drew for you! XD

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with that statement, but I have met very few Mechanical Engineers that understand or are concerned about the importance of aesthetics for consumer products!

Functionality before aesthetics, e'ry time ;) jk. I tell myself that, but then I want to make things pretty...

AcousticTheory

What's an ITX?
New User
Jan 31, 2021
If you want to go far in any profession, rather than just ending up at a desk processing endless paperwork, you need to have a specific vision of what you want to do, and you need to become both highly skilled (hot stuff) and dedicated to your career focus. It's more important to get into the right company - one that does what you want - than it is to try to find the job that is everything you want, and then let them see your passion, dedication, and area of interest very clearly - get in close and regular contact with the people in that company who are doing what you want to do, and ask them to make you aware of any openings. You will probably start lower on the totem pole - that has been my experience - but everybody starts somewhere.

Reactions: lozza_c