News Crytek's NEON NOIR: Real-Time Ray Traced Reflections, on a Vega 56

"Technology Reveal: Real-Time Ray Traced Reflections achieved with CRYENGINE. All scenes are rendered in real-time in-editor on an AMD Vega 56 GPU. Reflections are achieved with the new experimental ray tracing feature in CRYENGINE 5 - no SSR. Neon Noir was developed on a bespoke version of CRYENGINE 5.5., and the experimental ray tracing feature based on CRYENGINE’s Total Illumination used to create the demo is both API and hardware agnostic, enabling ray tracing to run on most mainstream, contemporary AMD and NVIDIA GPUs. However, the future integration of this new CRYENGINE technology will be optimized to benefit from performance enhancements delivered by the latest generation of graphics cards and supported APIs like Vulkan and DX12."

Another step to convince me to stay away from Nvidia (not that I've needed any).

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Pretty neat, though I feel like while they've gotten quite good at making pretty surfaces, other areas still have a long way to go. This demo looks good in fly-throughs without much going on, but put it in an actual game with some stiffly-animated character models that clip through the environment and the illusion quickly falls apart.