CPU cooling question: Big vs slim air (exhaust)

bigpc

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Mar 6, 2020
I wonder which of these two setups would provide the best CPU and overall cooling.
Big air exhaust:
  • Original Noctua NH-C14
  • One 120x25mm fan underneath
  • Two 120x25mm fans on the side panel, set to exhaust
Slim air exhaust:
  • Noctua NH-C14S
  • One 120x25mm fan underneath
  • Two 120x15mm (slim) fans on the side panel, set to exhaust
I have seen some thorough tests including both coolers, but I have not been able to find this exact comparison. I suspect that the extra 10mm of heatsink thickness that the C14S has over the original does not offset the cooling from the extra air that 25mm thick fans can move over slim ones. Thanks in advance!

bigpc

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Mar 6, 2020
I realize I have an additional question regarding the C14 vs C14S quesition: while the C14S allows for a 92x25mm rear fan (to my knowledge), does the original C14 as well? When looking at the coolers side by side on pictures, it seems that the original C14 heatpipes come out at more of an angle, which might conflict with a rear fan, especially a 25mm thick one. This possible difference in compatibility might also be important when comparing the two setups.

Mantark

Efficiency Noob
New User
Feb 4, 2019
I can confirm that with C14 you have space for a 15mm fan on the back only. And even that is as close as 1-2mm ;-)

DrunkenMercenary90

Caliper Novice
Sep 8, 2019
I was wondering the exact same question. My gut feeling is leaning towards the C14 solution having better performance, because of the option to have 3 NF-A12x25's instead of just 1.

Tiptop

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 24, 2019
I am currently running a setup with an original C14 but a bit of a funky fan combo (I've got a 120 x 25mm on the bottom of the cooler and then an original 140 x 25 on the top) if you run with the 3 x 125mm you will really struggle for clearance of a 92mm at the back as you need to move thye fans along closer to the rear I/O.