CPU Cooler - Mod or Replace?

nedge2k

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 6, 2017
In my case, internal vertical clearance from the mobo to the case is ~70mm with no venting above the mobo. It has intake vents to the side (but no fan) and an 80mm exhaust fan and vent to the other side.

I currently use the Scythe Kozuti from my previous HTPC build that was in a Silverstone ML-02. Kozuti fan is 80x10mm mounted under the cooler.

I planned to increase the cooling capacity by mounting a 120x25mm fan on top so, out of interest, I cable tied a Noctua 80x25mm fan to the top to see what would happen. This left me with ~5mm clearance to the case which, by my reckoning means only 30% of the air it could pull freely is available with the 80mm fan, and only 20% for the 120mm.

If I mounted a 92x14mm fan, i'd have ~16mm clearance and ~90% of the air it could pull freely would be available.

So, the question is, do I go for the 92mm fan or...bin the whole lot in favour of a Zalman CNPS8900? The Zalman would give 10mm clearance BUT i'd assume it could pull air through the sides also.

Only other issue is I can't run a backplate for a cooler so I'd have to mod the Zalman.

(picture taken with outer case/lid off and turned upside down)

Reactions: Ceros_X

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Two issues you should consider:

1.) Noise... a fan intake too close to an unvented panel can be noisy. You'll definitely need to experiment with this to see what happens with your case and setup.

2.) Inefficient Cooling... fan diameter in relation to cooler/radiator diameter can be important. The radiator should be receiving the airflow from the fan's outer edges, where most of the airflow and pressure is generated.

Reactions: Phuncz