Advice CPU cooler forNcase M1 build

OldGuy

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
May 4, 2023
Hi all, newbie here.

I’ve happily found an Ncase M1 v6.1 new in case and will be building my system in the coming weeks. I intend to use this for office work, post processing of digital photos, and maybe occasional light video editing.

I’m aiming for as near-silent a system as possible. Under-volting the CPU is an option.

I hope to manage with integrated graphics. If I need to I might get something like a used ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB DUAL OC
DUAL-GTX1060-O6G. I like that it exhausts out the back of the case.

So far I have bought the following:

ASUS ROG STRIX B660-I Gaming WiFi
Intel i5-12400 6K
Kingston NV2 PCI-E 4.0 M.2 1TB
Kingston FURY Beast DDR5-5200 C40 DC 16GB
Corsair SF750 Platinum (used)

I welcome comments - I don’t know if these components are an optimal configuration. I have not opened the packaging and can exchange any of this (except the used PSU).

My big question:

I’d like to use Thermalright’s Silver Soul 135.
  • Will it fit in the v6.1 version of the case with the dust filter in place along the side?
  • Does it push against the filter? If it does, would removing the plastic covers on the two towers shave off enough millimeters?

I hope I‘ve struck the right tone in my questions. This is such a friendly and helpful forum!

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
50+ views of your post have not brought in one response and so let me be the first, even though I have never owned the Ncase.

According to the Compatibility page, max air cooler height is 130mm (with side fan bracket installed) and 135mm (if no bracket).
And, Thermalright SS135 is 135mm tall.

So,
Q1. Will it fit in the v6.1 version of the case with the dust filter in place along the side?
Ans: No, it will not fit. The dust filter holds onto the outer side of the side fan bracket by magnet. So, you must use the side fan bracket if you want to use the stock filter. Thus, unless you do some 'mod', you cannot use the filter+bracket if you use the TR SS 135.

Q2. Does it push against the filter? If it does, would removing the plastic covers on the two towers shave off enough millimeters?
Ans. No, this is highly unlikely. It seems removing the side fan bracket will give you (135-130=) 5mm additional clearance.
So, if you use the bracket+filter, you have to bring down the cooler height to 130mm. And, judging by the pic, I do not think the removal of the plastic covers will give you that precious 5mm. May be 1-2mm, I suppose.

A possible solution is to use TR SS 110 instead of SS 135.
Silver Soul 110 is 110mm tall and uses five 6mm heatpipes and 9cm fan (max 23 dBA at 2500 rpm vs 29.6 dBA at 1850 rpm of the 12cm fan for SS 135).

--Physically it allows you to install the side bracket and the filter.

--Thermally, it is rated for 90W (sustained load) and 200W (peak load) and this spec fits your target i5 12400 (65W base power and 117 max turbo load). And since you might even under-volt the CPU, this looks good.
Ref:- http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?298215-Thermalright-Silver-Soul-110

--Acoustically, with the possibility of using the side bracket, you might even be able to use some low spinning thin 120mm fan(s) to improve cooling, thus lowering the speed of fan(s) overall speaking.

Reactions: BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
While you shouldn't face any cooling problem with an APU build in the M1, here is a detailed page where you could get good tips about fans and where to put them for a good airflow:

OldGuy

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
May 4, 2023
Thank you both for your answers!

A lot to consider here. I was hoping the SS135 would work because its size would make the fan run slower, for a given thermal load, than the fan on the SS110. However the SS110 might be the safest solution, and as you point out, TinyITX, I probably won‘t be stretching the capacity of the SS110. There are a number of pictures on the net of SS135’s mounted in the M1 case, but of course the bracket is always removed to make the heatsink visible.

Thank you for the link, BaK, I will study that page.