Power Supply Corsair SF750 shutting off under sustainr high load

T4iga

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 21, 2019
R9 3900X stock
And 2080 Ti stock

I am about 90% sure i narrowed it down to the PSU because after remaving it from my Ncase M1 so it can breath freely has fixed any crashes.

Crash means: screen goes black, PSU clicks, machine is dean until the PSU is powercycled once.
I suspecetd OCP but at this point i think it is OTP. It happened in BF4, Cyberpunk 2077 and Prime+Furmark after a good 10 minutes or so every time.
Out of the case i ployed mone than 2h withou any mare crashes.
My unit is not in the serial range for the RMA earlier this year.

Is this really my PSU?
Also, BIOS is set to 'last state' after power loss and it turns on after powen cycling the PSU indicating power just shuts off, not a software issue.
What shall i do? Any other leads to follow? Contact Corsair or the reseller (in Gelmany they are the anes required to honor the warranty) because it is barely 15 months old.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
If simply moving the PSU from inside the case to outside cures the problem, then it quite naturally points the finger to the PSU.

But I wonder if it is temperature related. I mean, the default PSU position inside a M1 is that the PSU's fan faces the right side panel (which is vented to receive fresh ambient air) and exhausts upward via the top panel. Unless you install the PSU differently, this stock configuration should not allow the PSU to suck much hot air from within the case.

Reactions: rfarmer

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I'm curious - If it's not temperature, could it be problem in grounding?

But I'm not an expert in electricity - hopefully other knowledgeable members can chime in.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
IIRC, a typical chassis (with average ventilation) has an internal temp of about 35-40C when the system is under load. Of course, this is an average value and only represents a 'typical' chassis. SF750 is rated and tested at 50C environment. So, I suppose, in general, OTP should not be triggered by simply sucking too much hot air from inside the chassis. Temperature will become an issue, probably when the fan is faulty or the intake region is severely blocked..etc and these situations should be easily spotted and corrected.

Anyway, I suggest you going to Corsair's own forum and ask in their PSU section. jonnyguru is a mod there and often participates too.