First, here is my build:
- Silverstone SG13
- Asrock B660M-ITX
- Intel i3-12100F
- RX580 2048SP
- Fractal Design ION+ 560W ATX
- ID Cooling IS-40X v3
- Arctic P14 set as intake fan

Is there any NVMe SSD that can running cool? or maybe with 3rd-party heatsink like Thermalright HR-09? PCIe gen3 is okay, but it would be good if it PCIe gen4

The issue with my build is lack of exhaust fan, so overtime hot air just circulated inside the case, CPU and GPU temp is okay and not running too hot, but the issue i have is with NVMe SSD that can easily overheat because of heat from GPU and CPU, my old NVMe just died from that

I have a plan to change the PSU later with SFX, and install 1 exhaust fan, but for now i really need faster SSD since currently it is running on SATA SSD which run slower

So, is there any recommendation? i'm looking for 1TB SSD, i have check Lexar NM790, XPG Gammix S70 Blade, and Crucial P5 Plus, with Thermalright HR-09 to help spread the heat, but still not about this one

Thank you!

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
What NVMe were you using ? Some heat more than others. I don't have the exact data but during my research for a new NVMe, I discarded a few based on consumption and hence heat alone. For example, the Micron 7400 PRO idles at 70C without a heatsink.

If the HR-09 fits, Thermalright also has the HR-10 2280 PRO that has double the heatpipes and a fan for active cooling :

From that short, it looks like it drops 13C compared to motherboard heatsink on a Samsung 980 PRO :

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
I have a gen 3 (4TB Crucial P3) and gen 4 (2TB Mushkin Vortex) drive. The gen 3 definitely runs cooler and in normal use and gaming there is absolutely no noticeable difference in speed between the 2. Unless you are doing a lot of large file moves to and from the drive I would recommend a gen 3 drive to help alleviate your temp issues.

Reactions: rfarmer

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
The lowest power usage (and therefore coolest) is Hynix Gold P31 Gen 3, however, you should be fine with almost any brand Gen 3

rockavoldy

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Sep 11, 2023
What NVMe were you using ? Some heat more than others. I don't have the exact data but during my research for a new NVMe, I discarded a few based on consumption and hence heat alone. For example, the Micron 7400 PRO idles at 70C without a heatsink.

If the HR-09 fits, Thermalright also has the HR-10 2280 PRO that has double the heatpipes and a fan for active cooling :
It's ADATA SX6000

After some check again the clearance with GPU Card, it seems there won't be any spaces for HR-09 and the same mounting system, so i will resort to heatsink that are low enough to let me use rubber band.. i'm looking at GELID ICECAP Pro right now for this, what do you think? or should i try to use the one coming with Lexar NM790? i kind-of avoid passive heatsink as there are really small air circulation inside the case....

I have a gen 3 (4TB Crucial P3) and gen 4 (2TB Mushkin Vortex) drive. The gen 3 definitely runs cooler and in normal use and gaming there is absolutely no noticeable difference in speed between the 2. Unless you are doing a lot of large file moves to and from the drive I would recommend a gen 3 drive to help alleviate your temp issues.
My old NVMe drive is ADATA SX6000 which is gen3, maybe because this one is on the hot-side?
Yeah, my use case for this build is only gaming, so didn't need to be fastest, but at least not the speed of SATA

The lowest power usage (and therefore coolest) is Hynix Gold P31 Gen 3, however, you should be fine with almost any brand Gen 3
Unfortunately, i can't find Hynix Gold P31 sold in my country..
But, there is Solidigm P41 Plus, what if i set the NVMe to run on gen3, will it help? and should i worry about QLC NAND?