News Coffee Lake variant including on-package Vega GPU

Combines a Core-H CPU part (45W) with an as yet unspecified semi-custom Vega Polaris GPU plus at least one HBM2 stack. Uses Intel's EMIB rather than a monolithic interposer, but appears to be doing so just for the GPU-HBM link rather than for the CPU-GPU link judging by the mockup image provided by Intel, which could just end up being PCIe x16 for simplicity (using an existing interface both GPU and CPU already posses).

All signs point to this being an "Apple wanted us to make it" SKU like the Iris Pro line, but there's a non-zero chance it could make its way to other products too. Probably in the form of NUCs rather than as installable LGA chips.

---

Alternate headline: today's weather in hades; heavy snow with chances of hail.

Last edited:

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
I hope we see it side by side with a Micro STX system. If I can get the option of 6 core CPU and up to GTX 1080 graphics on Micro STX, why would I go with the Hades Canyon?
Intel is off their bean. With no RAM, SSD or OS included, this makes this a $1300 to $1500 PC build. My Ryzen 7 1700, GTX 1080 and RVZ02 build, thanks to some connections I have with NewEgg and Micro Center agents, only came to around $1500. Heck, I can get a gaming laptop that is far, far better spec’ed for that price. My prediction is that unlike Skull Canyon, Hades Canyon is going to flop majorly. Far too niche and way overpriced even for many SSF builders, I am afraid. AMD’s desktop Raven Ridge looks to be a far better value proposition. A family member is just awaiting the release of an ITX AM4 motherboard with the necessary HDMI 2.0 output. Then he will use it in a Streacom F7C Alpha, together with their Flirc SE Universal Remote IR Receiver, to replace his Skull Canyon for HTPC duty. (He wants to upgrade since Skull Canyon can’t do HDR, unfortunately, and it also suffers from occasional Dolby Digital dropouts due to its Parade chip having known timing and latency issues.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
I pronounce it 'nuck' as in knuckles, but I have yet to hear anyone else say it that way.
Intel’s agents pronounce it this way, and AnandTech’s staff writers were geeky enough to ask for the pronunciation and wrote it out in one of their articles a while ago. However, I hear most store agents and techies refer to it as “nuke.” Bombs away!!!

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
There's no "e" following the "c" which means we can use the soft "u" :) but even if it was "nuce" we'd pronounce it like "noose" which is bad marketing

Reactions: AleksandarK

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2017
I have to wonder, do they use U-series and/or H-series as CPU for those Kaby-Gs?

I mean the i5-8305G is the 65W TDP package and the i7-8809G 100W TDP. Are the cutting for the i5 just a bit clockspeed and use a weaker Vega, or do they use a U-series with a slightly nerfed Vega? I also wonder if the 8809G uses a 25W U-series, since the Vega allegedly competes with the GTX1060 (MQ 60-70W / Notebook 80W / Desktop 120W) and we know that Radeon uses more power for the same performance. If they ment the MQ 1060 in the competing statement and the Vega follows the trend of using more power, is the CPU a U-series then?

Reactions: IntoxicatedPuma

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I was wondering about that too. It seems reasonable, the RX470D is a 28CU Polaris chip and its a 120W TDP, however I also heard that some RX480's were pulling under 100w even though they are 150w TDP. I guess its reasonable to assume AMD could have a more power efficient graphics chip for Intel but that still doesn't leave the CPU a lot to work with.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
I have to wonder, do they use U-series and/or H-series as CPU for those Kaby-Gs?

I mean the i5-8305G is the 65W TDP package and the i7-8809G 100W TDP. Are the cutting for the i5 just a bit clockspeed and use a weaker Vega, or do they use a U-series with a slightly nerfed Vega? I also wonder if the 8809G uses a 25W U-series, since the Vega allegedly competes with the GTX1060 (MQ 60-70W / Notebook 80W / Desktop 120W) and we know that Radeon uses more power for the same performance. If they ment the MQ 1060 in the competing statement and the Vega follows the trend of using more power, is the CPU a U-series then?
They use Kaby Lake as far as CPU.

Now, the GPU.
VEGA is a power hungry GPU architecture, but when undervolted, VEGA gets better performance and lower power consumption. The part about performance sounds non logical, but it is true. They mush have tweaked it and found a perfect point where Voltage, Amperage, Frequency, Power Consumption and Heat Output are optimised so well. They are using 55W VEGA chip, as the CPU has 45W.

Last edited:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
Original poster
May 11, 2015
New I have to wonder, do they use U-series and/or H-series as CPU for those Kaby-Gs?
They use Coffee Lake as far as CPU.
Kaby Lake, not Coffee Lake or Kaby Lake-R (iGPU is a HD630, not the UHD620 of Kaby Lake-R). It's a 4-core 8-thread part, so Kaby Lake-H rather than Kaby Lake-U. Kaby Lake-H is 45W TDP with an option for 35W in 'TDP down' mode (probably active when the dGPU is operating).

Take Intel's performance numbers with a pinch of salt (as you should any vendor-supplied benchmarks). For example, the comparison to the GTX1050 was done with a Coffee Lake-U CPU using CPU-limited games.

Reactions: AleksandarK

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Kaby Lake, not Coffee Lake or Kaby Lake-R (iGPU is a HD630, not the UHD620 of Kaby Lake-R). It's a 4-core 8-thread part, so Kaby Lake-H rather than Kaby Lake-U. Kaby Lake-H is 45W TDP with an option for 35W in 'TDP down' mode (probably active when the dGPU is operating).

Take Intel's performance numbers with a pinch of salt (as you should any vendor-supplied benchmarks). For example, the comparison to the GTX1050 was done with a Coffee Lake-U CPU using CPU-limited games.
Thank you, i stand corrected. For some reason i was 100% conivinced that it is CFL.:p

Reactions: Biowarejak

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2017
I only hope that it will deliver decent gaming performance, since the usff market is really a dead end for gaming. Yes I know, one can build a fairly small itx system, but that doesn't sell and expand that area for normies.

Also what I tought about: manufacturers custom stx format maybe? *looks at asrock* or a s4 mini adaption with internal psu?

For some reason I really don't want stx and kaby-g to fail.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I only hope that it will deliver decent gaming performance, since the usff market is really a dead end for gaming. Yes I know, one can build a fairly small itx system, but that doesn't sell and expand that area for normies.

Also what I tought about: manufacturers custom stx format maybe? *looks at asrock* or a s4 mini adaption with internal psu?

For some reason I really don't want stx and kaby-g to fail.

Google Micro STX dude.