News Coffee Lake variant including on-package Vega GPU

Combines a Core-H CPU part (45W) with an as yet unspecified semi-custom Vega Polaris GPU plus at least one HBM2 stack. Uses Intel's EMIB rather than a monolithic interposer, but appears to be doing so just for the GPU-HBM link rather than for the CPU-GPU link judging by the mockup image provided by Intel, which could just end up being PCIe x16 for simplicity (using an existing interface both GPU and CPU already posses).

All signs point to this being an "Apple wanted us to make it" SKU like the Iris Pro line, but there's a non-zero chance it could make its way to other products too. Probably in the form of NUCs rather than as installable LGA chips.

---

Alternate headline: today's weather in hades; heavy snow with chances of hail.

Last edited:

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
It looks like it could be above that, but it's hard to tell because the games they benchmarked generally perform pretty well on AMD systems. I think near 1050-1050 ti should be a safe assumption though. The HBM no doubt has a huge impact on this.

My only complaint is an i5 8250u + GTX 1050 will be about the same for heat and power consumption under load. I hope Intel/AMD resolved the power consumption issues from the 2500U Raven Ridge platform, because that's one of the main things holding Raven Ridge back.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I mean technically a 750ti can do VR. It just won't be good VR. :) I've done the benchmarks on mine, I was surprised it was passable, and it's miles better than a mobile phone, but it definitely isn't optimal.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That depends if the plan is to have Wii quality games or graphically heavy games. Otherwise the point of a Qualcomm Snapdragon powered headset would also be moot but companies believe it's viable for some kind of games.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Last edited:

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
It does look tacky, but at least it should come with a simpler back cover without the skull like the previous one did.

Very excited for this, hopefully it won't be too expensive. I assume it will have problems with thermal throttling though. I think we'll see a few case mods for it over here on the SFF forums... :)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The #1 thing I want to know about this board is does it have a Molex power-in header like the prototype board that surfaced recently (plzplzplzplzplz).

Reactions: AleksandarK

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
At 221mm x 142mm x 39mm this thing actually has a footprint that is 15% larger than Micro STX. While thickness could be argued, Micro STX @ 55mm should be completely and totally doable making it only a hair larger in volume with a vastly better performance.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
God this thing crushed my build so bad - just adding ram it costs as much as my S4M-C build, and still have more gpu horse power (if the leaked bench is true, about 20% better) while using 50w less power. :\

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
this thing is really nice. but the aesthetic is a bit tacky

At 221mm x 142mm x 39mm this thing actually has a footprint that is 15% larger than Micro STX. While thickness could be argued, Micro STX @ 55mm should be completely and totally doable making it only a hair larger in volume with a vastly better performance.
and way nice aesthetics at the same time I suppose.

God this thing crushed my build so bad - just adding ram it costs as much as my S4M-C build, and still have more gpu horse power (if the leaked bench is true, about 20% better) while using 50w less power. :\
but hey, you woldn't be able to have it for a whole 6 months yet, right?

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The skull logo can be turned off, or have a replacement blank top I think. Just like the older one.

But um, wow, that Intel chip has a lot more Vega CUs than AMD's own Ryzen 5 APUs, at 24 versus 11. I'm guessing the APUs are aimed for budget prices, with the Intels only embedded in some mid-high end products.