Power Supply chenbro es34169 PSU upgrade

wirdo

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 27, 2019
Hi Guys,

I'm working on a new NAS (currently Dell T110 but want to go (a lot) smaller)
Picked up the chenbro es34169 case since it's small and has 4 hot swap bays which suits my needs.

Since it's an used case I want to replace the power supply, no clue what the age is and I want to start clean/fresh.
I've been looking into several topics in here but cannot decide what to pick.
The best option for me would be to replace the current PSU (which is an fsp100-5b01) so no external power brick is needed. I however cannot find anything in this form factor from a reliable brand. I don;t want some cheap chinese thing that burns down my entire house :)

An other option is going for a pico-psu kind of solution. The thing is I need 2 molex connectors to power the backplate of the hard disks.

Hardware that will be inside the case:
Mainboard: Asus H110M-ITX/AC
CPU: Intel Core i3 7100T
RAM: 2x8GB DDR4
HDD: 2x2TB + 2x1TB 7.2K SATA

I was considering either the KMPKT Dynamo Mini or the HDplex nano 200W.
Is it safe to split and extend the molex cable on either of these?

Thanks for your time.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Loving the build idea. It's a shame that PSU is such a weird item! Any luck finding a new replacement of the same unit?

I've modified a 1U server to run a HDPlex/KMPKT combo - it's running nice! As long as you follow polarities and load ratings, splitting and extending any power wiring is definitely doable - along with just buying adapters as needed.

Reactions: wirdo

wirdo

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 27, 2019
Loving the build idea. It's a shame that PSU is such a weird item! Any luck finding a new replacement of the same unit?

I've modified a 1U server to run a HDPlex/KMPKT combo - it's running nice! As long as you follow polarities and load ratings, splitting and extending any power wiring is definitely doable - along with just buying adapters as needed.
Thanks for the reply! I've contacted Seasonic to see if they have anything similar to the FSP power supply but unfortunately they didn't.
I went for the KMPKT Dynamo mini and will get a dell power brick for it soon.

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
:D I really wish companies would go with standardised form factors on power supplies in such systems, it would make life so much easier.

Reactions: wirdo

wirdo

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 27, 2019
:D I really wish companies would go with standardised form factors on power supplies in such systems, it would make life so much easier.
True that!

I've been working a bit on this build and having some setbacks. I really hope the Dynamo Mini is going to fit since I got only 4CM above the 24pin available.
The cooler I used seem to block one of the RAM slots. Images in the manual only show boards with SODIMM modules laying down instead of standing up :D.

Looking to see if I have any other options for the power supply that can be build in. I can put in a bigger one as well (max 20 x 6 cm)
The removable motherboard tray in this case is pretty handy tho!

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
What I did to deal with the limited headroom above the ATX 24 pin in my 1U is just use an extender and mount the Dynamo Mini somewhere else :)

wirdo

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 27, 2019
What I did to deal with the limited headroom above the ATX 24 pin in my 1U is just use an extender and mount the Dynamo Mini somewhere else :)

That's an excellent idea! Didn't even think about that option.
Thanks!

wirdo

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 27, 2019
The Dynamo mini arrived way faster than I expected :)
It fits just fine, there is even some room left for it to breath.

I noticed that the Dynamo doesn't come with any molex connectors. Since I'm not going to use the PCI-E I thought of buying a cable that converts the 6 pin to 2x molex (for the HDD backplanes). I however never used this kind of method and the PCI-E doesn't come with 5V I think?
Would it be better to go with an sata to molex adapter (x2) or the PCI-E 6pin to 2x molex?

Thanks!