Cerberus X workstation build

zugok

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 29, 2019
www.artistebot.com
Finally got my Cerberus X build mostly complete.Very slow build as I was waiting for various parts.

This is a replacement for my "olde-suped-up" Dell Optiplex 990 MT (i7-2600)

Parts in the build:
  • Cerberus X Case
  • Asrock x570 Taichi
  • Scythe Fuma Rev. B CPU cooler.
  • Ryzen 3900X
  • PNY Geforce RTX 2070 Blower
  • 4 x G.SKILL 16gb6 DDR4 3600 CL16
  • Corsair SF750
  • 4x Corsair ML120
  • 1x Corsair ML140
  • Scythe Kaze Flex 120mm
  • Noctua NF-B9 PWM
  • WD Black nvme SN750 1TB Boot
  • Toshiba SATA X300 5TB Storage
Build Notes:
  • The Cerberus X case is quite fragile if handled WO the panels, especially once all the hardware is installed.
  • To build, I installed the fans and PSU as well as manage cables first. Separately I assembled and tested the MB, CPU, ram etc, and fit the entire assembly into the case to install.
  • Designed and 3D printed my own HDD drive mount, cheaper than the metal one and allowed me to orient the drive to fit w a 140mm bottom fan
  • I was able to fit two ML120 in the front under the PSU after I removed about 4mm from one of the fan housings
  • To minimize noise and save money I made my own vibration dampers w thin sheet rubber squares sandwiched between the fans/drives and case.
  • Designed and 3D printed a blower-housing for the top front mounted ML120. With it installed there is a noticeable increase in airflow directly to the CPU cooler.
  • I bought the Demci Filter's for the case but found they are very ugly and don't use them. IMHO they are not worth the $.

Stable OC at 4.2 w fans set to "normal". Stable OC at 4.0 w Fans set to "silent". This system runs circles around my MP2010.

Below are pics comparing it to the Dell 990MT it is replacing. I really like the size of the Dell, thankfully the Cerberus is close in size, in a market filled with giant "whale-like" cases.

The front duct fits onto the front fan with 2-3mm clearance from the adjacent parts, video card etc. It also serves to hold the PSU cables out of the way.

I plan on designing and printing a small duct (small barrier) for the top fan too. I am also in the process on making a small USB-C and Audio Jack bracket that can be mounted on the front or top holding cables that run from the back plate or internal sockets.

When time allows I have a few ideas on different 3D printed front face covers that might allow for better airflow from the front.

Last edited: