Cerberus-X Hackintosh

Ajax

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 28, 2018
Current Specs:

i9-9900K—Gigabyte Z390 Designare
RX Vega 64 LC → LG 27UD68P-B
32GB TridentZ DDR4-3200MHz (14-14-14-28)
512GB Samsung 960 Pro + 1TB 860 Evo
Kraken x62 AIO
Seasonic SS-660XP2 (to be replaced with SSR-850TR)

This'll be my 3rd build in the past 5 years since I started.

First time using water cooling. The x62 has been a headache for this build… but I picked it up at a nice discount so I feel stuck with making it work. If I could do this all over again, I'd probably go with a nice EKWB kit instead.

Other than that, it's not a terribly exotic build insofar as any special customizations (for now). But maybe someone will stumble upon this thread and get ideas.

Ask me questions. Constructive advice welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: MuffinCrumbs

Ajax

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 28, 2018
Oh yeah, Happy New Years.

So here's what my build looked like earlier (yeah, cable rat's nest). Old GPU was a Sapphire 380X:

380X removed:

And here's the Vega 64 I got today:

Measured ~272mm in length sans PCI bracket. Was a little concerned about it fitting prior given the ~275mm clearance, but it did. Sort of:

Decided I wasn't comfortable with radiator fans being flush with GPU, so switched them around. The depth of the radiator frame exceeds the inset grill by a fair margin, giving me the clearance I wanted:

And screwed GPU radiator to the bottom like so:

Ajax

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 28, 2018
I mentioned in the beginning that the x62 has been something of a headache for this build. For instance, the PSU (SS-660XP2) ends up sitting flush with the x62 pump:

I don't think it's a problem though since the gravity of the PSU isn't weighing down on the pump.

Also worth noting in last image of previous post that I had to rotate the pump 90° ⟲ in order for the hoses to not obstruct the PSU.

Apart from getting a different cooler (i.e., shorter pump), I don't know a better solution given the apparent lack of premium higher-wattage (>650W) PSUs in smaller form-factors. I know Silverstone makes some, but I don't trust their quality.

Ajax

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 28, 2018
Hooked everything up to make sure it works. Booted into OS fine… new GPU shows up, etc. Great.

However, seems the system was a bit unstable and would freeze after ~5mins. And now after a few reboots said GPU won't POST at all. Fan runs, it gets warm, but no longer appears in BIOS under PCI devices.

Reset CMOS—same behavior. Reseated GPU, changed PCIE cables. Nope.

Swapped old GPU back in, system functions normally. So I'm guessing the new one is defective, and I'll have to RMA it? Sucks.

Ajax

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 28, 2018
Turns out they left a tiny sliver of that yellow PCB masking tape(?) on the card where it plugs into the PCIE slot. Probably a better name for it, but I dunno what it is.

Of all the stupid things.

Reactions: MuffinCrumbs

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Well spotted, that's a really tricky problem solved!
Nice build,and interesting to see a rear mounted PSU.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Solid build man. Don't sweat the "pedestrian" build nonsense. There's a reason for common build foundations. They work well and accommodate a lot of budgets.
Really appreciate the updates illustrating the little fitment issues with the GPU/Fans/Rad/PSU/CPU pump. That kind of stuff is super useful to other builders.
I would've considered 3mm on paper plenty good, then been annoyed when I installed everything and had my hot GPU sitting flush against my radiator. I recently had a similar fitment problem cramming an Asus Z9PE-D16 (SSI-EEB 12"x13", 305mm x 330mm) into my Cerberus X (305mm × 335mm max), forcing me to fall back to a Z9PA-D8 (12"x10", 305mm x 254mm). Despite it stating that it could support a 335mm wide motherboard, the fitment was so tight that I couldn't install RAM or any PCIe cards because I was so flush on both sides. The screws didn't even line up, putting me a solid 3mm off center of the standoffs. Making their stated supported dimensions a full 8mm off.

Reactions: Ajax