Capacitor info for cap found on Silverstone 24pin mobo harness?

Benchcreek

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 30, 2017
I'm beginning my first computer build for which I am building my own case. I have a Silverstone SFX power supply that I plan to use and need to make some shorter cables. The 24pin motherboard cable has a capacitor connecting one of the 3.3v pins to ground. The markings on the top of the can are
6.3CG

There are no other markings (well, the gnd side is marked). I am assuming this is a 330 microfarad cap, but can't tell anything else about it. I did a search, but did not come across a similarly marked cap. Anyone have any more info about the cap Silverstone is using? I know that I can shorten the harness that came with the psu, but I'd like to keep it in one piece until I am done with the build.

Thestarkiller32

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2017
I'm beginning my first computer build for which I am building my own case. I have a Silverstone SFX power supply that I plan to use and need to make some shorter cables. The 24pin motherboard cable has a capacitor connecting one of the 3.3v pins to ground. The markings on the top of the can are
6.3CG

There are no other markings (well, the gnd side is marked). I am assuming this is a 330 microfarad cap, but can't tell anything else about it. I did a search, but did not come across a similarly marked cap. Anyone have any more info about the cap Silverstone is using? I know that I can shorten the harness that came with the psu, but I'd like to keep it in one piece until I am done with the build.
Have you already bored the psu? Have you considured a different one? Lika a SF600

Benchcreek

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 30, 2017
Have you already bored the psu? Have you considured a different one? Lika a SF600
Not sure what you mean by boring the psu, but I haven't messed with it. Long term I am looking at phase 2 of this project which I am hoping will use a KMPKT product, but I think I will stick with the Silverstone for now. This goal of this phase is learning more about the ins and outs of designing and building a small, vefy portable machine that answers my computing needs. I'll take a look at that sf600 though. I am still trying to get up to speed at knowing what my options are. Thanks for the ideas.

Benchcreek

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 30, 2017
jtd871, yeah, that sounds more like it. I should have thought of that, but I when I read it, I had just been thinking about moving the mains plug receptical out of the psu and routing it to the back of my case by drilling a hole in the case and extending the wiring. So "boring" made sense to me at the time.

Thanks warfreak131. Yes that sounds right, although the 330 uf rating seems awfully high for what I guess is smoothing - maybe there is another reason for it. I am wondering if it's 33 as some caps use a 2 digit value plus a multiplier digit. I poked around looking at various cap marking descriptions. I am reminded that the nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from. I could not find anything using "CG" as a code. Anyhow, I think I'll set the cap up to get a capacitance measurement off of it. Nothing like direct evidence to make a decision with. I went through a number of manufacturers last night but there are a lot of capacitors out there. For what it's worth, the can is unpainted and appears to be lightly etched or finely sandblasted and the markings (all on the top including the negative marker) are red.

Benchcreek

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 30, 2017
I finally discovered what this capacitor is. It is a Teapo 330uf, 6.3 volt, low esr cap. The CG is the designator code for Teapo's low esr series. The last number is a date code.

Teapo doesn't have a killer reputation - there are some discussions on the web wondering about Silverstone's use of Teapo caps. Silverstone is using caps for smoothing the power supply on several of their psu models. Also magnets to control noise. I wish I'd seen the Corsair SF info before my purchase, but this is working, despite the ungainly footprint. Anyhow, I found some Panasonic caps at digikey that I'll use when I make that cable.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
6.3CG

You sure you want to even keep them? Be alot simpler and neater just to chop them off and forget about them.

Benchcreek

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 30, 2017
Hmm, hadn't considered that since I really don't have a feel for just how sensitive motherboards are. I figured that if Silverstone went to the trouble to add a capacitor, there must be a reason. I just have one to deal with. However, I suppose I could get a better idea by leaving it off and if there are problems, add one back in. Thanks, Josh, I'll consider that when I start the harness. I suppose if I start on the end opposite the capacitor's location, there is a much better chance I'd leave it off by the time I get to it. Just made my first harness to replace the stock 12v 8pin motherboard cable and have gained even more respect for those that make all the well done custom cables.