Can I use an SX800-LTI PSU with full size GPU? Ncase

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Yes, I have that psu with a 5700xt on the ncase m1. I have to warn you though that the psu cables will push the gpu down, so you will have to look for a support for the gpu. In my build I have a dual rad setup, and the gpu block rest on the lower radiator fitting so it is perfectly horizontal.

Also I had to cut the gpu wiring and made myself some custom 24 pin cable because there are too many cables down there... In my opinion, if you already have the psu, go for it, you can make it work. If not, buy a sfx size psu, I also have a corsair sfx 750w psu on another computer, and I tried it on the Ncase.... everything much more simpler.

bargainbrigade

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 14, 2020
Yes, I have that psu with a 5700xt on the ncase m1. I have to warn you though that the psu cables will push the gpu down, so you will have to look for a support for the gpu. In my build I have a dual rad setup, and the gpu block rest on the lower radiator fitting so it is perfectly horizontal.

Also I had to cut the gpu wiring and made myself some custom 24 pin cable because there are too many cables down there... In my opinion, if you already have the psu, go for it, you can make it work. If not, buy a sfx size psu, I also have a corsair sfx 750w psu on another computer, and I tried it on the Ncase.... everything much more simpler.
Do I have to cut the GPU cables? I don't know how to do that

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
No, you don´t have to, but take in mind that cables are a bit too long, also 24 pin is a bit too long, and given the psu itself is a bit too big... everything sums up, and it fits very tight. It´s not something obligatory to do, but it helps. You will have to tidy everything very well, and even then, if you had use a corsair sf750 it would fit nicer

bargainbrigade

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 14, 2020
No, you don´t have to, but take in mind that cables are a bit too long, also 24 pin is a bit too long, and given the psu itself is a bit too big... everything sums up, and it fits very tight. It´s not something obligatory to do, but it helps. You will have to tidy everything very well, and even then, if you had use a corsair sf750 it would fit nicer

I measure about 150mm of clearance from the GPU backplate to the SFX psu bracket. I think the SFX-L psu is less than 150mm total with cables so why does it push down? Would you be able to provide a picture of your build?

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Those fans are exhausting air, and the side ones are also exhausting air. That way I may not have water temps as low as others, but everything else is cool (vrm, chipset, psu, m.2ssd, ram... ) And I believe that´s good for reliability and overall stability.

bargainbrigade

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 14, 2020
Those fans are exhausting air, and the side ones are also exhausting air. That way I may not have water temps as low as others, but everything else is cool (vrm, chipset, psu, m.2ssd, ram... ) And I believe that´s good for reliability and overall stability.
So your PSU fan is facing inside the case, and your radiator fans are exhausting air. But that means the 2 fans are opposing each other?

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
So your PSU fan is facing inside the case, and your radiator fans are exhausting air. But that means the 2 fans are opposing each other?
Well... I´m doing an experiment with a 60mm side radiator, (hardware labs gtx) and te psu without fans and also with no "shroud" I´m monitoring temps and trying to see if this has any benefit. But this is another story, just tinkering. It´s working fine with stress test so far with 570 w of power consumption (5700 xt overclocked and 3950 x) but I see no improvement in temps over a regular psu and a hardware labs gts on the side... unless I max out the fans, and then is when this big radiator shines.

Any way, when I use the regular psu with a fan and everything I put the psu the other way round with the fan taking cold air from the back of the case

bargainbrigade

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 14, 2020
Well... I´m doing an experiment with a 60mm side radiator, (hardware labs gtx) and te psu without fans and also with no "shroud" I´m monitoring temps and trying to see if this has any benefit. But this is another story, just tinkering. It´s working fine with stress test so far with 570 w of power consumption (5700 xt overclocked and 3950 x) but I see no improvement in temps over a regular psu and a hardware labs gts on the side... unless I max out the fans, and then is when this big radiator shines.

Any way, when I use the regular psu with a fan and everything I put the psu the other way round with the fan taking cold air from the back of the case

Thats pretty cool, your radiator fan is pulling air into the psu. I'm planning to do a dual 240mm as well, with a 40mm thick side radiator. Do you know which fan configuration is best for thermals? I'm thinking of doing bottom exhaust and side intake, I'm a bit worried about pulling hotair onto the psu though

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I didn´t make many different configurations on that regard, just all in or all out (I mean airflow direction) And to me, when setting the fans all to push air into the case, the temps are a bit better in the cpu and gpu, but a little tiny bit, I can´t give you a number because I don´t remember, but it was like 1 or 2 degrees, no more. But eeeevrything else was much hotter, mostly some hours into burning software, specially vrm and chipset was a bit over the top, with the onboard fan whining like crazy at 7.000 rpm or sth like that, so for me it was not the best option.