Log Building first SFX build.

Loaye

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Dec 24, 2020
I've been waiting around this year and with the 5950x and 3090's coming out I figured this would be a great time to hop on board.

Components:
MOBO: Asus Crosshair VIII Impact
CPU: 5950x
GPU: ASUS TUF 3090
STORAGE: WD SN750 2TB NVME x1
PSU: Haven't purchased yet(maybe Corsair SF750?)
RAM: Haven't purchases(stuck between TFORCE or Corsair Dominator - wanting 32GB

Case - NONE!! This is my main issue.

I will be buying all EKWB parts for water cooling(Nothing bought so far). My understanding is that you need to 2 different rads to properly cool each component(CPU/GPU) but all the cases I have been shopping around for don't support 2 rads. Has anyone else has this issue? Is there any work around? Or any case/mod someone has found. The Lian Li Mini is too big/square for me and all other cases look like a "typical gamer" tower and I'm not into that look.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

-Loaye

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I've been waiting around this year and with the 5950x and 3090's coming out I figured this would be a great time to hop on board.

Components:

I will be buying all EKWB parts for water cooling(Nothing bought so far). My understanding is that you need to 2 different rads to properly cool each component(CPU/GPU) but all the cases I have been shopping around for don't support 2 rads. Has anyone else has this issue? Is there any work around? Or any case/mod someone has found. The Lian Li Mini is too big/square for me and all other cases look like a "typical gamer" tower and I'm not into that look.

Thanks in advance,

-Loaye
How about the Cooler Master NR200P?

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
for non-Taobao cases the options are pretty limited with just the Ncase M1 and NR200(P). Personally I'm upgrading my build to use 5950X and Crosshair VIII Impact too and I chose the NR200 to have 3 radiators cooling both the CPU & GPU

Loaye

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Dec 24, 2020
for non-Taobao cases the options are pretty limited with just the Ncase M1 and NR200(P). Personally I'm upgrading my build to use 5950X and Crosshair VIII Impact too and I chose the NR200 to have 3 radiators cooling both the CPU & GPU
I am having a hard time visualizing 3 rads fitting into these? Are you doing three different 120 rads or a mix? What is a Taobao case? I am still new to the SFX world. Just been learning from Optimum Tech on YouTube

Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I am having a hard time visualizing 3 rads fitting into these? Are you doing three different 120 rads or a mix? What is a Taobao case? I am still new to the SFX world. Just been learning from Optimum Tech on YouTube

Triple 240mm radiators:
  • Bitspower Leviathan SF240 on the side (rebrand of Hardware Labs L-Series Stealth) not pictured
  • XSPC TX240 for top & bottom
Re-taobao cases, I meant the cases that are designed by Chinese creators and sold almost exclusively via Taobao. You can check the SFF Master List for more information

Reactions: tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Re-taobao cases, I meant the cases that are designed by Chinese creators and sold almost exclusively via Taobao. You can check the SFF Master List for more information
Some of the cases sold in Taobao do make their way into JD.com or AliExpress (and the prices will be higher too).

Jonsbo i100 Pro is such a ''Taobao'' case. At 25-litre, it is a little big (but not too big to be totally unacceptable, especially as a first entry into the SFF world, IMHO) but is more versatile too.

Loaye, check it out as well.
Taobao:- https://world.taobao.com/item/632339723009.htm?spm=a21wu.10013406-tw.0.0.1c574a10Xb6NkB
AliExpress:- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001787712108.html

Edit:- I find it in Newegg too but the price is much much higher!

Reactions: thelaughingman

Loaye

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Dec 24, 2020

Triple 240mm radiators:
  • Bitspower Leviathan SF240 on the side (rebrand of Hardware Labs L-Series Stealth) not pictured
  • XSPC TX240 for top & bottom
That helps out a ton. Never seen rads that thin, is that why you are running 3 of them? To help with heat dissipation. I wouldn't imagine that a skinny rad would be efficient with a 3090; could totally be wrong.

Loaye

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Dec 24, 2020
Some of the cases sold in Taobao do make their way into JD.com or AliExpress (and the prices will be higher too).

Jonsbo i100 Pro is such a ''Taobao'' case. At 25-litre, it is a little big (but not too big to be totally unacceptable, especially as a first entry into the SFF world, IMHO) but is more versatile too.

Loaye, check it out as well.
Taobao:- https://world.taobao.com/item/632339723009.htm?spm=a21wu.10013406-tw.0.0.1c574a10Xb6NkB
AliExpress:- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001787712108.html

Edit:- I find it in Newegg too but the price is much much higher!
I'll check out the list and see what is out there. I am really liking the i100 you linked. I am ok with going with a little bit bigger chassis for my first SFX. Then reduce in size with each iteration.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
That helps out a ton. Never seen rads that thin, is that why you are running 3 of them? To help with heat dissipation. I wouldn't imagine that a skinny rad would be efficient with a 3090; could totally be wrong.
IMO a single TX240 can cool either 5950X or 3090 by itself, you can always UV just to be safe. But since I have the 5950X and 2080ti both under water, multiple radiators is required to cool both sufficiently

I'll check out the list and see what is out there. I am really liking the i100 you linked. I am ok with going with a little bit bigger chassis for my first SFX. Then reduce in size with each iteration.
if you are willing to go larger than 20L and located in the US then the Sliger Cerberus / Cerberus X are also in contention too. Both cases support dual radiators with clean design

D

Deleted member 23607

Components:

Thanks in advance,

-Loaye

NCASE M1 is going to be another option.