Build idea: power brick as internal PSU

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
This is just a build idea but I've considered power bricks being put inside the case of the computer build, as easier to work with power sources than trying to wire your own PSU setup with open-air AC power supplies (such as MeanWell's for example).

The power adapter needs to have a fairly slim profile, 25mm or less. Anything much bigger and it would be moot, better to use a Flex PSU or similar.

First idea, fit adapters that are roughly 100mm x 200mm x 25mm in size, in a console case layout. Dell and Flextronics have a 240W adapter that meets these requirements, and I'm using one for my current system right now. This is just an alternative approach for a brick-less build in a case similar to the S4 Mini.

For the console layout, the length would be down to 205mm or so. The GPU will be positioned above the power brick, and the brick's AC outlet would be exposed to the back of the case. This kind of setup will mean a case at least 67mm in height.

EDIT: Ooops, meant to post this in the Concepts and Ideations sub-forum. Oh well, guess it'll stay here for now.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
I have been thinking the same thing myself today, I just had the power brick arrive for my project and I think it will fit inside the case (can’t check until that arrives), I’m just not sure it should if you get my meaning. In theory I’d just butcher a kettle/clover cable to fit to the power brick, solder the exposed wires to a case socket and reuse the supplied clover cable/UK plug via the case connector (slow boat China). Externally it would look fine. Internally I will have the length of wires the other side of the power brick that connects to the ‘laptop’ normally- it is too long so either will have to be tidied away or shortened which means I have the potential to ‘brick my power brick’.

I’m also adding heat to the internals, which loses one benefit of a laptop power brick and my motherboard can take an internal PSU or the external power brick, so I may just be making work for myself.

That said this nice case sold by Overclockers (UK) allows for such a system so I will probably accommodate the idea in the build even if I end up just keeping the brick external- particularly as I will probably sell it straight on so an external power brick failing is less hassle for the purchaser than one that has been bodged in with solder and has become a non-standard part.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lazer3d-ht5-bourbon-mini-itx-htpc-black-walnut-ca-04h-lz.html

https://www.lazer3d.com/product/ht5/

I think on their main site (lazer) they have images that show that set-up. Ultimately though it seems a lot of work for my build without great benefits.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The HT5 is a nice home theater case but it's still limited to low profile cards so I'd go with that case or something similar if you could manage only with a low profile card and HD-PLEX internal PSU.

Right now what I have been figuring out is the placement of the GPU and power brick. I decided to switch the locations so that the power brick sits above the GPU instead. It will sit directly on metal brackets that will enclose this brick as a tight fit (so only this size is compatible) and the case needs to be extended long enough from front to back to allow room for the DC cable to bend inside.

So 205mm is actually too small of a length for the case. It would have to be 220mm. Incidentally, this makes the interior a comfortable fit to install a 400W HD-PLEX (even though you'd be limited by the power brick's wattage).

Reactions: Andrew.J.Vigil