Build doubt: 2070 super vs 2080

Mesmerismo

Case Bender
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
Hello everyone!

I'm waiting for my v6 and looking for what components to buy for this build.

I wanted to ask you for advice because I've found an Asus Dual GeForce RTX 2080 EVO OC 8GB GDDR6 for almost the same pricing as an EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super XC Gaming 8GB GDDR6.

I was going to buy the EVGA mainly because it allowed me to fit a couple 120x15mm fans on the bottom.
The Asus is thicker so I would have to fit a couple slim fans, or maybe see how to remove the fan shroud... but it's also a bit more powerful...

So... What would you do?

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
2070 super is almost the same as the 2080. The dual oc is also kinds loud from what I have read and you would have to remove the fan shroud to fit 12x25 fans (which are the best). I would go 2070 super, which in most games preforms the same, is quieter and no hassle with the fans.

Mesmerismo

Case Bender
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
2070 super is almost the same as the 2080. The dual oc is also kinds loud from what I have read and you would have to remove the fan shroud to fit 12x25 fans (which are the best). I would go 2070 super, which in most games preforms the same, is quieter and no hassle with the fans.
Thank you! I'll probably do that ?

ScVince

Efficiency Noob
Oct 5, 2019
I was doing an intern of custom PC building in China this summer. From my experience, 2070 Super performs almost identical to 2080. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower. The thermal solution is very critical for the cards of this performance level. ASUS dual in lower-end cards is a fine choice, yet in high-end cards, it might perform very loudly with occasional thermal throttling if you oc too far. Also remember, NCASE has a card length limitation. Even though on paper its clearance is over 300 mm, cards shorter than 275 mm would be much easier to install than longer kinds, and too long/thick GPU also requires the removal of front panel connections and bottom fans, which is probably not that good for most users.