brickless 2060s S4M build

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016
Zotac it is. He bends a part that holds some fan stuff in place, so will I need to worry about that when I re-attach it? Also I spelt "definitely" with two fs, and for some reason it's driving me crazy.

Not something I can comment on sorry.... it's not a card I've built with yet so most of my information is from that youtube video too ?

sff_lover

What's an ITX?
Nov 11, 2019
Hi guys,
I would also like to use the RTX 2060 Super in my brickless S4M build. Haulien already mentioned the RTX 2060 Super Compact X1. I just wondered if it would be possible to use the Inno3D RTX 2060 Super Twin X2 instead. This card would be easily available here in Germany.

This gpu might be ready to drop in without removing the gpu shroud/hdplex cover as it does not seem to be bigger than the Zotac RTX 1660 Ti Twin Fan in height. It might be necessary to cut of a little bit at the end of the shroud as it is 217mm long instead of 215mm. After all the super version from Inno3D does not seem to be higher than the non-super version ( Inno3D RTX 2060 Twin X2 ). I think it might work... not sure though. I appreciated your input :-)

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016
Hi guys,
I would also like to use the RTX 2060 Super in my brickless S4M build. Haulien already mentioned the RTX 2060 Super Compact X1. I just wondered if it would be possible to use the Inno3D RTX 2060 Super Twin X2 instead. This card would be easily available here in Germany.

This gpu might be ready to drop in without removing the gpu shroud/hdplex cover as it does not seem to be bigger than the Zotac RTX 1660 Ti Twin Fan in height. It might be necessary to cut of a little bit at the end of the shroud as it is 217mm long instead of 215mm. After all the super version from Inno3D does not seem to be higher than the non-super version ( Inno3D RTX 2060 Twin X2 ). I think it might work... not sure though. I appreciated your input :-)

As you mentioned you'll need to cut down or remove the shroud of that inno3d card. It'll fit without issue otherwise. You still might need shorty connectors however.

Reactions: sff_lover

Dean1484

Case Bender
Nov 22, 2019
I just completed a brick less S4M build with a 2060 super. I used the following components listed below below with notes on the mods to the component.

It should be noted this is not a how to guide at all!!! Just a basic list and the mods made I made. Making the mods is not for the first time builder. You have to be skilled with power tolls and be willing to hack in to brand new computer components. Do it wrong and you can turn a $400 Gpu or a $200 PSU into paperweights.

Parts and mods to the parts listed with the parts

Skyreach S4Mini Case (It was important to me to do this without any modes to the case)

GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX Motherboard

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600
DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800)
Timing 15-15-15-35
CAS Latency 15
Voltage 1.35V

Ryzen 7 3700x (65w TDP) (I wanted the rumored Ryzen 3900 and will upgrade to this if it is ever produced)

Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB

Zotac Gaming Geforce RTX 2060 Super MINI
At the top back corner of the Card I had to trim both the plastic fan Shroud and the back plate cover to fit power switch and it also helped with routing of wires.

NOCTUA NH-L9a-AM4 L-TYPE LOW-PRofile Cooler

HDPLEX nanoATX Combo (https://hdplex.com/hdplex-400w-hi-fi-dc-atx-power-supply-16v-24v-wide-range-voltage-input.html)
Case of the power supply was milled down to 2.190" (Material was shaved off two sides of the power supply case) to fit it in the S4MINI case. This was by far the hardest part of this build.

Cables from the HD Plex were used with the following mods.
The 24 pin cable was extended so it was 14" including the plugs (13" would probably be enough I had a bit of extra cable)
The cable for the plug that the 2 prong power cable plugs in to was extended 3"
All the power cables come as ribbons. They have to be separated in to individual wires. This allows for better cable management.
Ground cable was extended and attached tp the MB mounting screw at the back of the MB next to the GPU

Power Switch Noyito 16 mm blue with 22" cable (Amazon )
You can get this in Red, blue, green, and White

Nuts and bolts used to mount power plug in case.
2 ss m3 .50 pitch stop nuts
2 ss m3x10 .50 pitch machine screw

The front panel has to be installed upside-down in order for the power button to be installed with the button backing up against the top back corner of the GPU

Cable routing is tedious I actually routed cables through the fold in the PCI riser as well as I routed the CPU power cables under the PCI riser

System runs really cool even under synthetic loads for 30 minutes. No Throttling of either the CPU or the GPU

Case is reasonably quiet with just a bit of noise from the CPU cooler fan. No coil wine from the power supply or the GPU that others have reported and the GPU fans are virtually silent.

All in $$$ wise I was at about $1800 US or so and 10-20 hours of time. The thing that took the most time was extending the cables and the milling down of the PSU to fit in the case. You could probably do this for a bit less by stepping down on the GPU type and getting lesser quality ram and a different/smaller M.2 Drive.

If I did it again I would probably have 10 hours in to it just because I have done it once.

Since I am new here (been lurking for a long time) I am not sure on how to post photos but I can do that if anyone has an interest in seeing the final product.

The only other mod I am going to make to it is I want to add a remote control power switch. I got one of Amazon and tested it on my other PC and it worked great. It actually makes an interesting security feature for your PC. If you dont connect in the case switch and only use the remote fob no one can turn on the PC unless then have the fob. Keep that with you (on our keys or in you bag) and you have just made it so no one can turn on your PC unless they actually open it up and know how to re attache the case switch.

I am putting the remote on it so I can keep the computer off my desk up on shelf and just keep the fob in my desk. That way I don't have to reach up to turn it on. Just hit the button on the remote and it turns on.

Last edited: